Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to dolphin, crashes constantly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wykeez

I downloaded dolphin last night and played with no problems for a few hours. Today, it was crashing constantly. I can play for about 5 minutes, sometimes less before it crashes. Even if I don't open a game, if I leave Dolphin open in the background for 5 minutes it'll crash. Running it in compatibility modes and running as administrator haven't helped yet. What can I do to fix this?
Two things to try:
1) This could be related to fast boot. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do. Make sure fast boot is turned off, and then restart your computer (not turn off and on, the actual restart command)
2) Try the latest dev build of Dolphin.

wykeez

Thanks for the help.
Turning fast boot off didn't stop the crashing, but I've figured out that the crashes only happen when I also have PyCharm (the Python IDE) open. I'm not sure how or why this would cause crashes, but it runs fine otherwise.

wykeez

Scratch that last message, it's now crashing without PyCharm open. I tested my computer temperatures while running Dolphin and my CPU/GPU were getting up to 65-67 degrees C. Since it crashed when it hit 65 C, I think it may be overheating. Is it possible that my laptop is registering it as too hot and force quitting dolphin to fix that?
(02-08-2018, 12:13 PM)wykeez Wrote: [ -> ]Scratch that last message, it's now crashing without PyCharm open. I tested my computer temperatures while running Dolphin and my CPU/GPU were getting up to 65-67 degrees C. Since it crashed when it hit 65 C, I think it may be overheating. Is it possible that my laptop is registering it as too hot and force quitting dolphin to fix that?

No, if it reaches a thermal limit it'll just slow down - not crash (unless it's unstable for some reason - sometimes these things go wrong, but that doesn't seem likely). Also, 65 degrees isn't that high - most are fine well into the mid-70s or even 80s.

Generally, for crashes it's a good idea to make sure your drivers are up to date - GPU drivers are often one of the biggest causes of such issues. And then make sure you get the latest version from the vendor's website directly - often those on windows update are older and sometimes have bugs that have been fixed in newer versions.