Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: am i doing something wrong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My configuration
Windows 10
Intel i7-3537U
Nvidia GT 740M
RAM 8GB
HD 260GB

doesn't matter what am i playing, after a while it just starts to have a huge drop of fps... i have tried mario sunshine, twilight princess, wind waker, smash bros, soul calibour 2, viewtiful joe... but if i restart the game, or restart dolphin it cames back to normal, just for 30 min later it drops again to 20/15 fps...
Your profile says you're using Dolphin 5.0 stable, does using the latest dev build of Dolphin help this issue?

You may also want to check the temperature of your CPU/GPU while playing, you may be getting some thermal throttling.
(02-06-2018, 07:48 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You may also want to check the temperature of your CPU/GPU while playing, you may be getting some thermal throttling.

This wouldn't be surprising since mobile CPUs ending in "U" tend to be put into laptops that don't have the cooling capacity to run the CPU at full speed for extended periods of time.
(02-06-2018, 07:48 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Your profile says you're using Dolphin 5.0 stable, does using the latest dev build of Dolphin help this issue?

You may also want to check the temperature of your CPU/GPU while playing, you may be getting some thermal throttling.

Bad english comming...    Confused
well... i am playing on a notebook, it really heats when i play. but i didn't know that it would make such a difference in my gameplay, since i have played some others games like life is strange, skyrim for hours... and it didn't happened nothing like that...
I will try the latest dev build, but i don't think that's the case...
(02-06-2018, 07:57 AM)arkantoster Wrote: [ -> ]i have played some others games like life is strange, skyrim for hours... and it didn't happened nothing like that...

Those games are likely limited by your GPU; the issue here is more likely your CPU that is thermal-throttling.
(02-06-2018, 08:08 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Those games are likely limited by your GPU; the issue here is more likely your CPU that is thermal-throttling.

Sad  i will get one of those things with coolers for my notebook, maybe it will help me... thanks for the support  Big Grin
(02-06-2018, 08:11 AM)arkantoster Wrote: [ -> ]Sad i will get one of those things with coolers for my notebook, maybe it will help me... thanks for the support Big Grin

Don't do that without confirming if it really is the CPU! The last thing you want to do is spend money on something that might not even fix the problem.

I recommend just using a program like CoreTemp which will not only show the temperature of your CPU cores but will also show the clockrate (which will let you see if the CPU is in fact reducing its speed or not).

Sometimes it's actually not thermal throttling and it's power throttling - that is, the laptop itself intentionally reduces power because reasons, in which case you may be able to solve the problem via a program like ThrottleStop (for older laptops like yours, I recommend clicking "Show more versions" and downloading v6.00 rather than using the newest version of ThrottleStop).

And if it is thermal throttling, then you may be able to use the newest version of ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU which can help reduce temperature without also reducing performance or increasing fan noise (just note that the newest version of ThrottleStop will "expire" in January 2019).
(02-06-2018, 03:44 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't do that without confirming if it really is the CPU!  The last thing you want to do is spend money on something that might not even fix the problem.

I recommend just using a program like CoreTemp which will not only show the temperature of your CPU cores but will also show the clockrate (which will let you see if the CPU is in fact reducing its speed or not).

Sometimes it's actually not thermal throttling and it's power throttling - that is, the laptop itself intentionally reduces power because reasons, in which case you may be able to solve the problem via a program like ThrottleStop (for older laptops like yours, I recommend clicking "Show more versions" and downloading v6.00 rather than using the newest version of ThrottleStop).

And if it is thermal throttling, then you may be able to use the newest version of ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU which can help reduce temperature without also reducing performance or increasing fan noise (just note that the newest version of ThrottleStop will "expire" in January 2019).

I used the CoreTemp, and you where right... my cpu became at least 80ºC, and it start to lag when it is at +/- 89... i don't know how to undervolt my cpu, i'll research about, and try to use throttlestop... but maybe i can buy that cooler thing, isn't that expensive here in brazil, at least not those "pro ultra gamer with laser"...
for now i just start playing in other place, since my bedroom isn't the most fresh place in my house.

but thanks, a lot... really