Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: progressively worse fps as i play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So i played metroid prime 1 all the way thru and it was perfect. Now im playing prime 2 and at first it plays at 60fps without stuttering of any kind, but then maybe 30 minutes in i notice that every once in a while it will drop a frame or 2 and cause a stutter. Another 30 minutes after that it stutters about once every 3 seconds, pausing for about half a second each time. Another 15 minutes after that and its running at about 20fps and freezes for about 2 seconds at a time every 5 seconds. Then i manage to limp to a save station and reboot the emulator and everything is back to perfect and starts the cycle all over again.
Im monitoring everything and the main cpu core never goes above 50% (35% when i first start playing) with all others at maybe 5-10% if that( whole cpu at maybe 30%) CPU chip temp never goes above 35*C and the GPU temp is so low the fan hardly turns on (around 50*C) The ram usage never goes above 30% so its not a memory leak. I have also done a hard burn on CPU and GPU where everything goes to 100% for 1 hr and temps never got close to thermal throttling level. ive changed just about every setting i know what it does and there was 0 change. please help.
Maybe GPU RAM usage? It sounds like some kind of leak somewhere. Maybe something in Dolphin. Does saving/loading a savestate also fix it?
(02-01-2018, 01:13 PM)Ibizibbik Wrote: [ -> ]So i played metroid prime 1 all the way thru and it was perfect. Now im playing prime 2 and at first it plays at 60fps without stuttering of any kind, but then maybe 30 minutes in i notice that every once in a while it will drop a frame or 2 and cause a stutter. Another 30 minutes after that it stutters about once every 3 seconds, pausing for about half a second each time. Another 15 minutes after that and its running at about 20fps and freezes for about 2 seconds at a time every 5 seconds. Then i manage to limp to a save station and reboot the emulator and everything is back to perfect and starts the cycle all over again.
Im monitoring everything and the main cpu core never goes above 50% (35% when i first start playing) with all others at maybe 5-10% if that( whole cpu at maybe 30%) CPU chip temp never goes above 35*C and the GPU temp is so low the fan hardly turns on (around 50*C) The ram usage never goes above 30% so its not a memory leak. I have also done a hard burn on CPU and GPU where everything goes to 100% for 1 hr and temps never got close to thermal throttling level. ive changed just about every setting i know what it does and there was 0 change. please help.

Are you sure you have set up the Windows power options to be always in High Performance? Sounds like your computer is down clocking because the CPU is waiting for the GPU to finish. And even if your whole CPU package never hits the full throttle speed, it can be that one of your cores will hit the throttle speeds, mainly because Dolphin uses 1 (or 2) Hard working threads.
(02-01-2018, 03:22 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe GPU RAM usage?  It sounds like some kind of leak somewhere.  Maybe something in Dolphin.  Does saving/loading a savestate also fix it?

GPU Ram never got above normal, still about 7.5gb to go before full and Gpu memory controller usage is maybe 60% maximum and thats only for like a second.  saving/loading does not fix it.
(02-01-2018, 06:02 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you have set up the Windows power options to be always in High Performance? Sounds like your computer is down clocking because the CPU is waiting for the GPU to finish. And even if your whole CPU package never hits the full throttle speed, it can be that one of your cores will hit the throttle speeds, mainly because Dolphin uses 1 (or 2) Hard working threads.
Nothing is showing any down throttling, but thats a good point, it definitely could be clocking it down and then back up so quickly my monitors dont register it but has an effectively lower clock. So assuming that it does this progressively more as i play for some reason then that could be it. i will change everything to high performance and get back to you.
(02-02-2018, 12:04 AM)Ibizibbik Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing is showing any down throttling, but thats a good point, it definitely could be clocking it down and then back up so quickly my monitors dont register it but has an effectively lower clock. So assuming that it does this progressively more as i play for some reason then that could be it. i will change everything to high performance and get back to you.

I have changed all settings to maximum performance and there is no real change. It may take an extra 15 minutes to start causing problems, but other than that it is still the same problem. I've attached a before and during picture to show stats and temps before the problem starts and once game play was consistently suffering.

If i play more after when i took the during picture it will get worse with about the same cpu/gpu usage, but i happened upon a save station.
ignore the gpu clock lowered from 1360 to 1330. the picture was taken during a very low activity period and it does the same thing when its working properly.
[attachment=16810][attachment=16811]
(02-02-2018, 05:42 AM)Ibizibbik Wrote: [ -> ]I have changed all settings to maximum performance and there is no real change. It may take an extra 15 minutes to start causing problems, but other than that it is still the same problem. I've attached a before and during picture to show stats and temps before the problem starts and once game play was consistently suffering.

If i play more after when i took the during picture it will get worse with about the same cpu/gpu usage, but i happened upon a save station.
ignore the gpu clock lowered from 1360 to 1330. the picture was taken during a very low activity period and it does the same thing when its working properly.

I see you are on  an older development build (if your profile is correct that is) is the same thing happening with the latest development build?

@JMC this is the second person that is reporting the same kind of issue with MP, might there be a regression somewhere?
I can mess with it again? Is it Metroid Prime 2?
(02-02-2018, 05:22 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]I see you are on  an older development build (if your profile is correct that is) is the same thing happening with the latest development build?

@JMC this is the second person that is reporting the same kind of issue with MP, might there be a regression somewhere?

oh whoops, i thought i had the latest, i just downloaded it a few weeks ago. can you give me a link to the latest version? i cant seem to find it. thanks in advance
(02-02-2018, 09:38 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I can mess with it again?  Is it Metroid Prime 2?

Yes it is, i also noticed that cpu usage stays very high even after i close the game. i must also quit dolphin entirely to go back to normal. so to me that means its in the dolphin program and not the actual emulation process, right?
Pages: 1 2