Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can my laptop run dolphin smooth ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hoheadley

Hey I am planning on buying a laptop with these specs
- cpu: Intel Core i7-M620 @2.67 GHz
- 8 GB RAM
- 250 GB Hard Drive
- gpu: Nvidia NVS 3100m

Do you think it’s possible to run dolphin smooth and do you think the cpu will be bottlenecking or am I fine ?

Ps. Only planning on playing GameCube games not wii
Don't get that laptop for Dolphin in 2018.

That i7 uses the Westmere architecture which itself is a die-shrink of Nehelem - a 10 year old CPU architecture.

Also the GPU is basically just the Quadro equivalent to a lowly Geforce GT210 which is also just as outdated, but unlike the CPU won't even be able to run modern graphics APIs like Vulkan. Even modern Intel integrated graphics will be faster.

For reference, I have a similar laptop (HP 8440p) with an i5-520M and Nvidia 3100m. The last time I tried playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii on it, I couldn't even run it at 2x IR, but that was nearly 3 years ago by now.

(02-01-2018, 01:11 PM)Hoheadley Wrote: [ -> ]Ps. Only planning on playing GameCube games not wii
Doesn't really make much of a difference as a GameCube game like F-Zero GX can still be more demanding than a Wii game like Smash Bros. Brawl.

Hoheadley

(02-01-2018, 01:20 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get that laptop for Dolphin in 2018.

That i7 uses the Westmere architecture which itself is a die-shrink of Nehelem - a 10 year old CPU architecture.

Also the GPU is basically just the Quadro equivalent to a lowly Geforce GT210 which is also just as outdated, but unlike the CPU won't even be able to run modern graphics APIs like Vulkan. Even modern Intel integrated graphics will be faster.

For reference, I have a similar laptop (HP 8440p) with an i5-520M and Nvidia 3100m. The last time I tried playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii on it, I couldn't even run it at 2x IR, but that was nearly 3 years ago by now.

Doesn't really make much of a difference as a GameCube game like F-Zero GX can still be more demanding than a Wii game like Smash Bros. Brawl.
Thanks a lot !!! I was seconds away from buying it due to the i7 that caught my eye but nice to know
(02-01-2018, 01:31 PM)Hoheadley Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks a lot !!! I was seconds away from buying it due to the i7 that caught my eye but nice to know

Intel's marketing department would love you. Tongue Protip: Dolphin only really cares about having two fast CPU cores (but keep in mind that clockrate isn't everything).

Nevertheless, that 8440p I bought was only around $300 about 4 years ago, so I'm guessing that you're looking at laptops in the really cheap $200 price-bracket?