Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Budget Build.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going to build my mom a computer for $500 but I want to fully dedicate the computer the best it can, I heard that dolphin only runs on 2 cores or something so what would be the best cpu and gpu I could get in that price range that will run dolphin very well but also handle very simple everyday task such as internet use and old games such as Rise of Atlantis. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
This is actually hard because GPUs and RAM have doubled or tripled in price.

Wait for Ryzen APUs.
(02-01-2018, 08:38 AM)SFGChamps Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to build my mom a computer for $500 but I want to fully dedicate the computer the best it can, I heard that dolphin only runs on 2 cores or something so what would be the best cpu and gpu I could get in that price range that will run dolphin very well but also handle very simple everyday task such as internet use and old games such as Rise of Atlantis. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Here's a very basic PC partpicker list I just put together. There are probably a lot of ways I could have done it better but this was what I ended up with. Yes, I could I gone with a slightly cheaper H board but thhen you have to hope that the BIOS has been updated to be compatible, and it's not eighth gen because the non-Z motherboards aren't out yet.
Honestly I'd recommend waiting for eighth generation intel systems to get more affordable, because a quad core will still be a lot more futureproof just for staying up to date with windows and dolphin does sometimes use 3 cores. The case choice is always subjective and I did probably overspend on the PSU a bit, but I wanted to make sure I got one from a reputable manufacturer. The GPU could be upgraded to a 1050 but a 1030 should be enough for dolphin at 1080p and old games. as it's equivialent to the 750Ti, which was the reccomended card for dolphin 1080p for a long time.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/f8YDC
Edit: Yeah, a ryzen APU would probably be best if you can afford to wait.