Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A question about how sensor bars work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Googled around on this but haven't found a definitive answer.

The Mayflash DolphinBar seems to be recommended because it also works as a bluetooth adapter. But then I saw someone on some post somewhere saying they don't need that entire functionality. And I saw other posts suggesting that even two candles (!) would work as a sensor bar as they also emit IR.

I also want to get a USB bar to avoid batteries. However, my set up (I use a projector) means that the screen is about 5m away from the computer running Dolphin.

So my question - would a USB sensor bar have to be connected to the PC running Dolphin, or could I just plug it into the mains underneath the screen, where it would work like the aforementioned candles??
If you have a normal sensor bar (not a DolphinBar), it just has to be plugged in to anything that it can draw power from, not necessarily the PC that's running Dolphin. If you have a DolphinBar, it depends on the firmware and hardware revision.
Cool thanks! Gonna just get a normal USB sensor bar.
A "sensor bar" is kind of a misnomer. There are no sensors in the "sensor bar" only IR LEDs. You can actually replicate all the functionality of a standard "sensor bar" (not a dolphin bar since it is different) with 2 "sensor" candles placed properly.

A Dolphin bar is LEDs and a way to connect the controller to your PC (bluetooth) and does so with less annoyance then some USB Bluetooth dongles can cause.

You can also get battery powered "sensor bars" since they are a "dumb" (no input or output) item that gives the sensor on the remote something to see.