Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: High IR Bloom Fixes. Xenoblade, Twilight Princess, etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
/update 10/16 : Trying to get this fixed in dolphin so codes won't be needed https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-co...-fix-bloom
/edit Added House of the Dead Overkill

I really wanted to get a video with this post, explaining why bloom bugs and how I fix it, but haven't had time to do so. Watch for an update later if you want to learn more about it.
Picture. Fixes all bloom, not just torches:
This fixes scaled EFB copies causing bloom distortion on high IR (Internal Resolution) settings. It shrinks the efb copies used for bloom back to original size. Choose one code near the IR you use. If you use an unlisted IR, then it's okay to choose something close to it but not exact (choose x4 or x8 if you're running x6 IR).

English Xenoblade Bloom Fix, Choose ONE. Gecko Codes.:
JP Xenoblade:
Metroid Prime 3:
Arc Rise Fantasia:
Zelda/Twilight Princess:
House of the Dead: Overkill:
Monster Hunter Tri - Bloom Disable (I think this is what people want). Gecko or AR, but Gecko may activate better.
$Bloom Off
04056F24 4E800020

I would like to look at other games.  For Devs, the only universal fixes I can think of is to try only scaling the final efb render and not intermediate copies of things. Bloom also uses an Alpha mask, if those could somehow be used to determine what not to scale.  I don't know if any of these are possible or would work out.

Other games someone could try to fix:
Mario Kart Wii -- Difficult, but turning off scaled efb work okay (makes heat haze blurry)
Last Story
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
Zangeki_no_Reginleiv
Rune Factory Frontier
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Presuming this is a Gecko code? You had previously had both Gecko and AR versions.
Yes, Gecko. Thanks for asking.
One More Try Wrote:I would like to look at other games. For Devs, the only universal fixes I can think of is to flag bloom textures by name and force unscaled efb copies of them or to try only scaling the final efb render and not intermediate copies of things. Bloom also uses an Alpha mask,if those could somehow be used to determine what not to scale. I don't know if any of these are possible or would work out.

If there is a standard for bloom that many games use, we could take advantage of that for a really nice enhancement! Would you be willing to see what other games are doing?

The Last Story, Metroid Prime 3, and Twilight Princess are all popular games that run into this bloom issue.
(01-29-2018, 06:00 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]If there is a standard for bloom that many games use, we could take advantage of that for a really nice enhancement! Would you be willing to see what other games are doing?

The Last Story, Metroid Prime 3, and Twilight Princess are all popular games that run into this bloom issue.

And MARIOKART WII! Big Grin
Thanks for the list! I'll look at metroid prime 3. Hopefully after my video someone else can look into a few games themselves too.

I found the bloom area in Metroid 3. Resizing the efb copy is decreasing the screen space copied, so it's a bit trickier and I don't understand how Metroid works with everything, but I can probably get it.
Xenoblade looks great now, I never thought we'd actually see a fix to the bloom issues.

Another game to add to the list: Super Mario Galaxy 2. Bloom is used in several places in the game and it's certainly ugly at higher IRs, but Tree Trunk Galaxy it really stands out at the start of the level.

Spoiler:
I still can't get metroid p3 to resize the efb and keep the correct scene dimensions, but here's just a bloom offset fix, which makes it look better, but not exactly how it should.

/edit Someone more familiar with graphic functions would have to tell me how to resize an efb properly. Or if it'd take too much code. Instead, I decreased my correction for the offset and it looks better with limited testing, but I'm sure not perfect.

$Metroid Prime 3 bloom offset factor of 1.5
C2485910 00000002
38000150 6C008000
60000000 00000000
C24858F0 00000002
380001E0 6C008000
60000000 00000000
another game with bloom issue is Arc Rise Fantasia, no metions on the wiki about this issue yet for some reason, more info about bloom issue here
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8