Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin 5 much slower than 4.0.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ninjafuchs

Hi guys,

iam using dolphin-emu for ubuntu. and used the stock version from ubuntu 16.04 (4.0.2). it worked out pretty good. but i was curious what the 5 version is capable of. so i installed the ppa and gave it a try. the graphics are much better now, but even on the easiest / worst graphical settings the games still look pretty sharp but they run slower. especially the super mario power tennis and final fantasy chronicles.

Is it just me or am i missing some important settings?
Dolphin 5.0 does take more "power" to run than 4.0. A number of changes happened that made Dolphin more accurate, but on that same note, accuracy has a performance cost. The same has been true of 4.0 vs 3.5 or 3.0.

However, Dolphin has been pretty good at giving a number of speed-ups that somewhat offset the other penalties. You really ought to try the latest development builds instead of the stable build (5.0 is very old by now, and thousands of changes have been made since then). Of note, a number of AMD users with pre-Ryzen hardware have found Dolphin to be much more playable than it was even during the 4.0 era.

ninjafuchs

Hi Shonumi,
never expected such a difference. but the master branch is really much faster. Using now 5.0-c81ac1a-dirty. i also like that i can play a little with the new features. Even my beloved power tennis now runs perfectly fast and smooth and looking great.

Thank you very much and for the fast answer
love it
ninja

ninjafuchs

So now after two or three updates. I wanted to play a bit. unfortunatly my games are running slow again.
And i dont know which settings i ought to adjust to make the games run fast again.
currently on (version: 5.0-44391ad-dirty)