Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: R5 1600 / I5 8400
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Modinstaller

Hey !

My current specs (Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC) are pretty bad all around for pc gaming and I can't run Dolphin well (just tried Super Mario Sunshine).
So, I'm planning on upgrading soon, mainly for recent and upcoming PC games, but also would like to run Dolphin.

Planning on playing Super Mario Sunshine & Wind Waker on GC and SMG 1 & 2, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario on Wii.
Will those games run better on a R5 1600 or an I5 8400 ? Is the difference even big enough to be considered ? I've been aiming for a GTX 1060 as well since it's the least inflated here, but if prices change I might get a RX 580 instead.

And finally, if I end up getting the AMD CPU (which I hear should be the worse one), will those games run well enough to be playable ?

Thank you for reading Smile
(01-26-2018, 09:20 PM)Modinstaller Wrote: [ -> ]Hey !

My current specs (Phenom II x4 965 3.4GHz, Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC) are pretty bad all around for pc gaming and I can't run Dolphin well (just tried Super Mario Sunshine).
So, I'm planning on upgrading soon, mainly for recent and upcoming PC games, but also would like to run Dolphin.

Planning on playing Super Mario Sunshine & Wind Waker on GC and SMG 1 & 2, Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario on Wii.
Will those games run better on a R5 1600 or an I5 8400 ? Is the difference even big enough to be considered ? I've been aiming for a GTX 1060 as well since it's the least inflated here, but if prices change I might get a RX 580 instead.

And finally, if I end up getting the AMD CPU (which I hear should be the worse one), will those games run well enough to be playable ?

Thank you for reading Smile

Especially for emulation the Intel will be faster, the AMD's are about on par with 4th gen Intel processors for Dolphin and since both are hexacores, I'd still go with Intel...

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Int...3939vs3919
Realistically, both should be able to run dolphin with those games fine. While the Intel may be slightly faster in peak single threaded speed, if it's fast enough to get 100% console speed it doesn't really matter if it can go faster, as dolphin wouldn't use any extra possible headroom.
As Dolphin doesn't really take advantage of more than 4 threads (and only two of those threads have high CPU utilization), clockspeed and IPC are much more important than the amount of cores and threads.

Therefore, at least in terms of those two CPUs, the i5-8400 would better than the Ryzen 1600, but I'd argue that neither are really ideal for Dolphin considering what I stated above.

On the Intel side, an i3-8100 and i3-8350k would provide just as much if not better performance (particularly the 8350k). On the Ryzen side, the upcoming Ryzen 2200G and 2400G supposedly have various latency improvements to the cache and memory sub-system which would theoretically provide a moderate performance boost vs any of the 1000-series Ryzen chips.
The Zen+ Ryzen chips are also supposed to be less dependent on fast memory which would encourage waiting for a bit while RAM prices are what they are.

Modinstaller

Thank you for the answers.

Due to GPU prices going through the roof, I've decided to wait a while and just upgrade my cpu. Probably going to be the i3 8100 or i5 8400.

Would my Radeon HD 7850 2GB pose any problems with these 2 cpus ? Or is it going to be just fine ?
It should work just fine and should still be fast enough for Dolphin at reasonable resolutions.