Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: IR scaling filter, LLE and settings I should care about
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, the latest builds still dont have a proper downsampling filter? Is LLE audio still useful if you can run it, or games that use Zelda ucode still suffer from HLE? Is there any case I could benefit from changing the default cpu emulator engine? Last one, should I care about settings like XFB, EFB and texture cache looking for a more precise emulation, or should I change them only for compatibility issues ? Thx
(01-26-2018, 06:49 AM)Oscubb Wrote: [ -> ]First, the latest builds still dont have a proper downsampling filter?

Yes, it's still not very good.

(01-26-2018, 06:49 AM)Oscubb Wrote: [ -> ]Is LLE audio still useful if you can run it, or games that use Zelda ucode still suffer from HLE?

The Zelda ucode HLE has been completely rewritten, so DSP LLE isn't especially useful anymore unless you want to run homebrew programs that use audio.

(01-26-2018, 06:49 AM)Oscubb Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any case I could benefit from changing the default cpu emulator engine?

No. But you could benefit from disabling dual core (if your computer is fast enough to handle it, of course).

(01-26-2018, 06:49 AM)Oscubb Wrote: [ -> ]Last one, should I care about settings like  XFB, EFB and texture cache looking for a more precise emulation, or should I change them only for compatibility issues ? Thx

They don't really matter except for the cases where there are compatibility issues.
(01-26-2018, 06:53 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No. But you could benefit from disabling dual core (if your computer is fast enough to handle it, of course).

How could I benefit from disabling it?
(01-26-2018, 07:08 AM)Oscubb Wrote: [ -> ]How could I benefit from disabling it?

It can get rid of some random crashes and instabilities. Sometimes dual core works just fine, but some games have particularly many problems with it.
(01-26-2018, 06:53 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-26-2018, 06:49 AM)Oscubb Wrote: [ -> ]Last one, should I care about settings like XFB, EFB and texture cache looking for a more precise emulation, or should I change them only for compatibility issues?

They don't really matter except for the cases where there are compatibility issues.

We also generally do a better job now at automatically twiddling these settings per title via the game ini files distributed with Dolphin. Consult the wiki for exceptions.
(01-26-2018, 07:30 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It can get rid of some random crashes and instabilities. Sometimes dual core works just fine, but some games have particularly many problems with it.

A 8600k@5ghz would be able to run everything with dual core disabled?
yes⠀⠀⠀⠀
Dual core can produce visual glitches, like for exempla in the intro of Luigi's Mansion, when he's walking in the woods, his mouth is glitching.

LLE is still required in a small number of games, like Pikmin 1 and 2. On the other end, LLE has problems in Luigi's Mansion, HLE doesn't.

I look forward to the day the Dolphin Wiki gets reopen to the public, it's pretty outdated now.
Pikmin 1/2 work 99% fine with HLE audio nowadays. The savesound is too low pitch.
(01-28-2018, 06:13 AM)Shadorino Wrote: [ -> ]Dual core can produce visual glitches, like for exempla in the intro of Luigi's Mansion, when he's walking in the woods, his mouth is glitching.

LLE is still required in a small number of games, like Pikmin 1 and 2. On the other end, LLE has problems in Luigi's Mansion, HLE doesn't.

I look forward to the day the Dolphin Wiki gets reopen to the public, it's pretty outdated now.

We have been trying to make updates as things are reported on Forum game pages, though I'm sure many things have gone unaddressed.