Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Higher internal resolution kills sound in super mario galaxy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jasmine

Changing the internal resolution to anything higher than natives makes the sound extremely laggy in super mario galaxy, even though I have 50+ frames still.

CPU: Intel i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Ram: 8GB DDR3 Unknown Brand
Dolphin build: 5.0-6229-x64
The game runs at 60 fps. It's not a variable framerate like PC games, so if you aren't going 60 fps, you're running slow, so everything is slow, including sounds.
Super Mario Galaxy is a very GPU demanding game, you may be stuck with only being able to play it 1x IR if 2x IR gives you slowdowns.
(01-26-2018, 01:02 AM)Jasmine Wrote: [ -> ]GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

(01-26-2018, 01:06 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Super Mario Galaxy is a very GPU demanding game

This is why, need I say more?

To clarify, you have Intel integrated graphics - one of the weakest graphics chips available for any PC made in the last 5 years (other than a specific expensive variant that's essentially a Prius with a rocket glued on the back).

Also, depending on the laptop, you may only have 1x8GB rather than 2x4GB - this will hurt your integrated graphic's performance even farther (though its debatable just how much of an effect that would have on integrated graphics specifically from Intel due to their already low-performance nature).
(01-26-2018, 05:54 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Need I say more?

Well, it was already said in the post above you so
(01-26-2018, 06:02 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it was already said in the post above you so

Though the post above me didn't say anything about the Intel graphics, just that Mario Galaxy was very GPU demanding. I wanted to emphesize that the lack of performance was more from a weak GPU rather than trying to run Crysis 3.

Also I was unfortunately distracted by my sister which caused my quick edit to turn into a "30 minutes later" edit.
[color=#000080]You may enable sound stretching, if you still want to play with less than 60fps. This will prevent the sound stuttering and it'll sound a little bit nicer. But I'll highly recommend you to lower your graphic settings, like they already told you...[/color]
If one is really desperate, you could even try using the old Dolphin 3.5 which has the less-accurate asynchronous audio, but that would probably result in other issues that have since been solved with newer versions of Dolphin.

Just keep in mind that it being an older version means it's unsupported and therefore you'll be largely left to your own means if issues arise.
Well, although older intel gpus are really crippled, you might work on 4600 to get full speed at 2x.

Download very latest GPU drivers from intel site. Very important
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...duct=80939

Use DX11 plugin in dolphin, no opengl.

You might consider to give actualization to your OS to at least Creators Update to get WDDM 2.2 and who knows - Fall creators update wddm 2.3 might be faster?

On a hardware side:
You would have to get dual ram 2x4 DDR high speed and low latency. But since RAM is expensive nowodays, you would better end up in buying cheap nvidia card to get nice speed boost in pc games, system and emulation.
Depending on how desperate you are, I believe Linux actually supports Vulkan on Intel HD4600, which I would imagine would improve your performance somewhat (my Pentium G3258 has an Intel iGPU of the same generation so I should probably see if this is in fact the case).

(01-27-2018, 08:35 PM)sirdaniel Wrote: [ -> ]buying cheap nvidia card

OP has a laptop, so that's not really an option.

And even if OP were to put together a cheap desktop PC, cheap discrete GPUs make little sense for new PCs with the imminent launch of Ryzen APUs.
(01-28-2018, 06:11 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]OP has a laptop, so that's not really an option.

Oh ok right. So i highly recommend dual channel. 4600 is old but notsobadlyweak gpu, youtube videos show dramatical fps gain in pc titles when dual active. When it comes with emulation gain will be little less, but still.