Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: direct x 9 vs 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi i was wondering if there is any difference at all in the direct x9 vs 10 like graphics and performance. I was wondering if it would make the graphics look better at all on the wii and Gamecube games.

please let me know Smile
There is no DirectX 10 support implemented in Dolphin yet
(11-21-2009, 05:10 PM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]There is no DirectX 10 support implemented in Dolphin yet

there is no support but you can use directx 10 i was just wondering if it made the graphics better..
Short answer: no
Long answer: no, it doesn't
o thank you for giving me a awnser Smile
(11-22-2009, 10:13 AM)aggression425 Wrote: [ -> ]o thank you for giving me a awnser Smile

How dare you lower your expectations like that, abide by conditions such as this, bland and whatnot.

They are technically correct but.. Your thanks should have gone without, for we are not worthy.
It's not a question of making the games look nicer, that can be done with DX9 too. What you might gain is a bit of performance increase if you code a DX10 Plugin, at least that's what they say about DX10 most of the time. I don't have a clue if that rule can be applied to emulation too but the performance is great enough already anyway...
On a similar topic... (to answer OP as it has already been discussed in the thread... no DX10 will not make the graphics 'better' lol, it's still emulating the same content).

I was wondering if there are any plans to include a DX10 plugin for Dolphin.

For a while now Playstation 2 emulation with PCSX2 is using a DX10 plugin for graphics. From what I've experienced playing my games using it is much more accurate graphics emulation at just a slight performance loss from DX9.

This is not to invite any sort of negative comparison, just as reference.

I sort of intuitively figured that there could be benefits for Dolphin in emulation accuracy over DX9 if DX10 was used, but my intuition does not include specific knowledge of any DirectX or Dolphin either.

My other intuition is that DX10 would perform significantly better than OpenGL graphics using OpenCL.

Those intuitions together demonstrate a guesstimation... DirectX10 could maybe benefit Dolphin in both emulation accuracy and performance.

DirectX11 is out already as well, maybe it's an even better idea to start with DX11 or both even. Apparently DirectX11 is simply a superset of DirectX10.1.

That said, I'm sure the Dolphin developers are well aware of all these possibilities.
Let them fix dx9 first and we'll probably see dx10/11 in the future.