Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Random game crashes when using Gecko codes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I’ve been playing Super Mario Sunshine (GMSP01) on Dolphin for a while without issues, but lately the game keeps crashing randomly whenever any Gecko code is enabled (haven’t tried AR codes). Dolphin keeps running fine, but the game crashes like it would on a real console, with the buzzing sound and all. The codes in question are trusted, I know what they do and they have no effect whatsoever at the times that the crashes occur.

It’s really hard to troubleshoot this because I have no consistent way to trigger a crash besides just playing around for a while, but changing settings doesn’t seem to help, the only way is to disable all codes. I also deleted my Cache folder multiple times while testing this, just in case. The issue started happening to me on 5.0-5978 (I think) and continued on 5.0-6022 and 5.0-6177.

Is there anything I can do about these crashes (besides just playing without Gecko codes), or at least a way to find the cause of a crash in the debugger?
Dolphin does not really support gecko codes, some work, some dont. This feature needs to be redone completely and nobody is smart enough or cares enough to do that apparantly. Why its currently even implemented in this sorry state is beyond me, all it does is cause threads like this to appear and wastes time on debugging this issue for people who dont know about it.

The current bug report about it is 5 months old now: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/10456 with 0 progress being done and its my understanding that Dolphin has never been 100% compatible with gecko codes in all the years of its development.
That’s kinda weird because I’d been using these codes for a while without issues, and the only way they changed was from “inject a couple lines of ASM there” to “inject more lines of ASM there”. But I’ll agree that Dolphin’s code handler isn’t great, the code size limit is becoming a pretty bad issue with the newest Super Mario Sunshine practice codes. I think I could help with rewriting it, I just don’t know my way around Dolphin’s codebase…