Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Random stutter, with or without Ubershaders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy, internal resolution is 4K.

Everything is completely smooth except every few minutes, I get a stutter (that lasts for a second or so). I've had Windows Task Manager up and these stutters don't appear to correlate to either CPU or GPU usage, which stay constant at around 20% (CPU) and 85-100% (GPU).

I get this issue, at around that interval, regardless of the Ubershader setting.

So I'm just wondering:

1) Should my GPU usage be that high? (a GTX 1080)
2) What can this stutter be, considering it seems to not be shader related.
What are your graphics setting?
The NVidia drivers have a bug that means that ubershaders on both OpenGL and Vulkan backends still stutters.

Does the stutter still happen if using the DX11 backend?
I'm using the D3D11 backend.

Some more info: just tried the Ishiiruka fork and that has much more reasonable GPU usage (25% or so, at 4K internal res), and crazily CPU usage has dropped to around 4%. I've still seen one or two stutters though, in a ten minute play session.

Am wondering whether this is something like the CPU downclocking itself.
In the Nvidia Control Panel, go to 3D settings, make a profile for Dolphin, and make sure it is using maximum performance.
Also go to Windows Power Management and make sure you have Fast Start disabled and that you're using a High Performance
I always have Nvidia on prefer max performance. Just tested with the power plan on high performance and it made no difference.
Fixed: Dolphin doesn't like G-sync. Disabling G-sync for dolphin.exe has fixed this.