Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My friend's PC is worse yet runs dolphin far better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

So I'm part of an online netplay community primarily for N64/Gamecube games. I understand that my PC is not very good at all, here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium N3530 quad-core @2.18GHz (Up to 2.58GHz)
Memory: 8GB Ram
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (there is no number afterwards)

However, my confusion lies in my friend's PC, who is able to run pretty much all multiplayer GC Games he throws at it with his specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron 2957U “Haswell” Dual-Core 1.4GHz
Memory: 4GB Ram
GPU: Intel HD Integrated Graphics

We are both running minimum settings (dual-core, minimum resolution, etc etc). The games we primarily play at our community are all 4 GC Mario parties, Melee, the Mario sports games (soccer, tennis, golf, baseball), Double dash, and Super Monkey Ball 2.

He is able to use OpenGL, DX 11 and DX 12 all at 60fps for these games w/ minimum settings, however any backend except DX 11 gives me a black screen. I checked and my GPU doesn't support DX 12, and I also assume doesn't have good enough OpenGL support either. With DX 11, my FPS varies, from 30fps on melee's menus, to 50fps on the mario party 5 intro, to 30fps in multiplayer double dash.

Both running Dolphin 5.0 x64, and we are both on Windows 10 64-bit PCs.

Here is the laptop that I am using:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/S...No=9108122

Here is the laptop that my friend is using:
http://laptoping.com/specs/product/dell-...3000-3542/

Any help is greatly appreciated.
It is because the processor in your PC uses a modern low power architecture that essentially has similar per-GHz performance to a mainstream "Core 2" processor from 10 years ago but with much lower power consumption and heat output.

Your friend/s processor by comparison is basically just a lower end variant of the processor architecture that's a direct successor (by 4 to 5 generations) of those aforementioned "Core 2" processors.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help.
Also, i think what is holding back Intel Pentium N3530 is weak GPu (ogl 4.0) and low TDP. Celeron have faster and better GPU (ogl 4.3), more TDP room, faster RAM, better balanced.
Dolphin is merely Dual core so 2/2 is ok, on the other side pentium 4/4 at 7W is just wtf?
It’s your CPU architecture being based on older hardware thats holding you can build/buy a new laptop that’ll be way better at Dolphin $400 to $600
(01-09-2018, 12:20 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]It’s your CPU architecture being based on older hardware

It's actually just as new if not slightly newer than Haswell.
(01-09-2018, 06:53 AM)12364398265763203179 Wrote: [ -> ]So I'm part of an online netplay community primarily for N64/Gamecube games.  I understand that my PC is not very good at all, here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium N3530 quad-core @2.18GHz (Up to 2.58GHz)
Memory: 8GB Ram
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (there is no number afterwards)

However, my confusion lies in my friend's PC, who is able to run pretty much all multiplayer GC Games he throws at it with his specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron 2957U “Haswell” Dual-Core 1.4GHz
Memory: 4GB Ram
GPU: Intel HD Integrated Graphics

We are both running minimum settings (dual-core, minimum resolution, etc etc).  The games we primarily play at our community are all 4 GC Mario parties, Melee, the Mario sports games (soccer, tennis, golf, baseball), Double dash, and Super Monkey Ball 2.

He is able to use OpenGL, DX 11 and DX 12 all at 60fps for these games w/ minimum settings, however any backend except DX 11 gives me a black screen.  I checked and my GPU doesn't support DX 12, and I also assume doesn't have good enough OpenGL support either.  With DX 11, my FPS varies, from 30fps on melee's menus, to 50fps on the mario party 5 intro, to 30fps in multiplayer double dash.

Both running Dolphin 5.0 x64, and we are both on Windows 10 64-bit PCs.

Here is the laptop that I am using:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/S...No=9108122

Here is the laptop that my friend is using:
http://laptoping.com/specs/product/dell-...3000-3542/

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your PC with the Intel Pentium N3530 and is of the "Bay Trail-M" architecture, which is the same architecture as the Ultra Low Power Intel Atoms and are made to last forever on batteries
Your friends PC with the Intel Celeron 2957U is of the "Haswell" architecture, which is the same architecture as a normal Desktop processor, but a low voltage variant of it which makes it last long on batteries.

The TDP of the Pentium is 4.5Watts, The Single thread performance 547 and the multithread is 1892.
the TDP of the Celeron is 15Watts, The Single thread performance 799 and the multithread is 1453.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php...cmp[]=2200

So if you compare these stats you will find out that the Celeron will be about 46% faster in Dolphin (not taking GPU and other subsystems into account)
The Pentium will be about 30% faster in multitasking scenarios or software that uses more than 2 threads (Again not taking GPU and other subsystems into account)