Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: will dolphin run on low end pc in the future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
in the near future will dolphin lower its system requirements???
Hard requirements no.
(01-05-2018, 11:25 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]in the near future will dolphin lower its system requirements???

No, it might even go up if it starts using extensions or API's that need newer GPU's. There will be some optimization that can be done, but there won't be many high performance gains so that it will run better on older hardware. That said: Even my old C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4GHz with a GTX750ti runs a lot of games quite nicely and that system is about 10 years old now.
(01-05-2018, 11:25 PM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]in the near future will dolphin lower its system requirements???

No, but it may well run nicely on a cheap low end pc, a new one anyway - but that's because computers get more powerful over time, not because Dolphin will lower its requirements.
It already does
(01-06-2018, 02:10 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]It already does

can it run at least 30 fps on core 2 duo and earlier processor??
Core 2 Duo? Most likely not
Does Dolphin need to be even more effective in performance? Sure, more performance is always welcome. But I find Dolphin to already run quite optimized? Wouldn't working on even more optimization come at the expense of not being at work at new features? I rather have more feature improvements. Maybe Dolphin can hit a new optimzation milestone by removing the need for Store EFB Copies to RAM and Textures. Disabling Store EFB Copies to Textures Only takes quite the performance hit.
(01-06-2018, 02:15 AM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]can it run at least 30 fps on core 2 duo and earlier processor??

I said low end, not useless trash
(01-06-2018, 02:15 AM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]can it run at least 30 fps on core 2 duo and earlier processor??

Assuming the mentioned potato machine have at least a GPU meeting the minimum requirements, it should (barely) handle lightweight games. Some years ago, while I still had my old build around (Core 2 Duo E4500 + GeForce GT 440), I managed to get Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion and Smash Bros Melee running at full speed for most of the time on an earlier 4.0-era build (4.0-3xxx if I recall correctly). No idea how that potato would perform in current Dolphin builds, though (probably worse)...
Pages: 1 2