Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Way to improve text at 4k?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,
Is there a way to improve things like text and 2-d textures at higher resolutions on dolphin? Maybe a xbrz scaling filter or something?
Redraw the textures at a higher resolution. (You could do vector graphics since text is mostly simple and easy to export to higher resolution)
(01-05-2018, 04:46 AM)Neui Wrote: [ -> ]Redraw the textures at a higher resolution. (You could do vector graphics since text is mostly simple and easy to export to higher resolution)

That actually sounds like a fun project to do. Any idea where I can learn how to start? I've never done graphics stuff before. I know how to dump textures but not much else after that.
That is how I once started: First, play the game and dump textures. Then go to User\Dump\Textures\GAMEID\ and search for textures you're interested in. And take note of their name. Open InkScape, set the width and height to the original texture (File → Document Properties → Custom size, set the width and height, remember to set the Units to px, NOT mm) and drag the original texture into InkScape and position it correctly (so it fills the area). Now you can use InkScapes tools to redraw the shapes and use the original texture as a background you can orient on. Maybe you want to lower the original texture's opacity so it is easier to see what is the background and what is what you've drawn. And finally, when you're finished, save it as a .svg somewhere (eg. directly in User\Load\Textures\GAMEID\), and use File -> Export PNG image, make sure [Page] is selected, set width and height to the resolution you'd like, set Filename to the path and filename of the texture (same name like in the dumped texture) and click Export. If you've saved directly into the correct Load-Folder, you can toggle the "Use Custom Textures"-Setting in Dolphin to reload the textures if you're ingame.

On how to use Inkscape, just either try it out and/or read/watch about it on the internet. Remember to set the units as px, because InkScape somehow likes mm and sets it as the default.