Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is the Rx 560 worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've saved up for the Gtx 1050ti but recently I found out that the Rx 560 4Gb somewhat matches it in Pc games, with the nvidia card just slightly edging ahead but for a significantly higher price where I live.
My biggest concern was emulation performance, for the longest time I've been hearing that Polaris based cards yielded unstable and somewhat glitchy performance for both Dolphin and Pcsx2. I was wondering if that changed for the better and whether or not the 560 is worth it.  
If you use Direct3D 11 or Vulkan, AMD cards work fine with it.

GL is slow on AMD.

I can't speak for PCSX2 and don't care about PC gaming perf.
I just want to remind everyone that there are two varients of the Rx 560 - one with 16 compute units / 1024 shaders (was the only version that was available at launch) and another with 14 compute units / 896 shaders (is literally just a rebadged Rx 460; has only been available for the last couple months).
(12-28-2017, 03:12 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to remind everyone that there are two varients of the Rx 560 - one with 16 compute units / 1024 shaders (was the only version that was available at launch) and another with 14 compute units / 896 shaders (is literally just a rebadged Rx 460; has only been available for the last couple months).

I know, the model I found (MSI Aero ITX) doesn't seem to have a lower spec version.
PCSX2 does not have Vulkan support and the OpenGL backend is the more developed one with the DirectX one only sometimes getting fixes ported over to it. So Nvidia is generally a better choice (unless AMD someday fixes their OpenGL support in their drivers.......).
If we're talking Windows, then yes Nvidia currently has better OpenGL support.

But on any other platform (Linux, Mac), things are different.
Yea on Linux, like most things, it gets more complicated.

First off do you want proprietary or open source drivers?
If you have to go open source then run screaming away from Nvidia.

What distro do you like?
Depending on your distro choice you sometimes don't get a choice of GPU support and really only Intel integrated have a good chnce of being supported on some of the more fringe distros.

Are you looking for stability and performance in Linux games?
Nvidia is stronger here then anyone else.

Do you still want stability after the game ends?
Then Nvidia looses many points here.

And Mac is Mac... you either go with want Apple wants to sell you or you get something else. No real choice, well unless you are using a thunderbolt external dock that High Sierra added (though I am not up to date on how driver support for this feature is panning out).
(12-28-2017, 07:08 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on your distro choice you sometimes don't get a choice of GPU support and really only Intel integrated have a good chnce of being supported on some of the more fringe distros.

Even though AMD GPU drivers have officially been merged into the kernel as of I believe kernel 4.15?

(12-28-2017, 07:08 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Are you looking for stability and performance in Linux games?
Nvidia is stronger here then anyone else.

It's not so clear-cut anymore - there are games where a Vega 64 can outperform even a 1080Ti.
I've been exclusively using D3D11 on both emulators, they ran surprisingly well on my integrated graphics. So it's safe to bet the 560 will provide a noticeable upgrade?
For emulators, sure.

Everybody else will talk your ear off about PC games, so you'll have to wait for responses about that.
Pages: 1 2