Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphics and CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If You guys can judge anything from results of benchmark 5.0 i took it would be nice for sl23. I have just joined the community so cant really say much about it. I also have 7200u and plugged in, really maintains 3,05Ghz (while base is 2,5)
(12-30-2017, 06:28 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]It was mainly that there's an updated model of the Swift 3 with a 4core/8thread CPU rather than a 2core/4thread CPU.

Thing is, Dolphin only heavily uses 2 cores so it's difficult to say which CPU would actually be better as most benchmarks only really test with 1 core or 4+ cores.

Ah I see, ok, thanks for clarifying. So, the MX150 is ok, but the CPU is under question?
I am curious though, with older CPU's being capable, why wouldn't this one? I don't know much about the tech side of CPU's!

@ sirdaniel:
Would this benchmark be from the Swift 3?

Thanks again Big Grin
CPUs are mainly rated for single core performance or multi core performance. Single core performance is what emulstors use (technically even though the emulator uses multiple cores 2+ those cores are doing seprate tasks and are not really spreading the task of emulating a Wii's CPU across multiple cores, but instead are emulating seperate things on seperate cores)

Single core performance is a mix of IPC (instructions per clock) and frequency (clock speed). Newer architectures (new CPUs) have increased IPC (generally) and that means that clock for clock they should perform faster.... In an ideal world this would be the case, but heat and power are always going to be a thing (especially on mobile chips), so mobile CPUs don't always go for single core performance (since it is power intensive and generates a lot of heat) and instead go for low heat low power more efficient designs.

The 7200u is a power efficient design smartly designed to make use of the growing adoption and dependence of multi threaded applications to work quickly and efficiently in smaller form factors.... in single threaded performance it is scores around a 1,738
older less power efficient chips like the 4310m get a bit higher at 1,865
and desktop chips like the 3570 score 2,016.

So yes newer chips do generally get improvements, but depending on the chip and what it is designed for sometimes those improvements are not as useful to the task of emulation as one would like. More thermal headroom (usually bigger and heavier, or more expensive cooling) and more power generally means higher clocks and less power saving features generally help overall raw performance at the cost of getting any respectable battery time.
Thing is though, the alternative CPU (i5-8250u) has no improvements in performance-per-clock - the only known improvement is that it has twice as many cores and threads.

Now normally that would be all fine and dandy, but we have minimal idea if the quad core version can actually retain as high of clocks as the dual core version can in two-threaded workloads like Dolphin.
(12-30-2017, 08:51 AM)sl23 Wrote: [ -> ]Ah I see, ok, thanks for clarifying. So, the MX150 is ok, but the CPU is under question?
I am curious though, with older CPU's being capable, why wouldn't this one? I don't know much about the tech side of CPU's!

@ sirdaniel:
Would this benchmark be from the Swift 3?

Thanks again Big Grin
Gpu will be good.

The laptop CPUs have doubtful fame, because people usually have in mind weak, hot, throttled units. the thruth is that laptops gets cooler in every generation, have less wattage, while emulator gets improvement all the time, its unnoticed how laptops became capable of emulating.

Nobody gonna say to you if that laptop suits your needs. To what above was written, cpus in laptops can vary in implementations, its like one laptop can be faster than another with same hardware, depending on cooling system. But it will be OK, believe me.

Even shadow of colossus (PS2) very demanding game can hit over 100% on my 7200u, with frequent hiccups to 80% at 2x scaling, none hiccups at native, but you will get better gpu so it will be ok. I have no other game to test and that one is the worst case scenario.
(12-30-2017, 01:51 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Thing is though, the alternative CPU (i5-8250u) has no improvements in performance-per-clock - the only known improvement is that it has twice as many cores and threads.

Now normally that would be all fine and dandy, but we have minimal idea if the quad core version can actually retain as high of clocks as the dual core version can in two-threaded workloads like Dolphin.
In case You are hardware maniac, there will be new chip Intel Core i3-8130U 2C/4T with hyperthreading up to 3,4 Mgz thats even better than i5 of previous generation. Now i3 becomes i5 while i5 becomes i7. They make room for i9 in laps?
(12-30-2017, 08:09 PM)sirdaniel Wrote: [ -> ]Gpu will be good.

The laptop CPUs have doubtful fame, because people usually have in mind weak, hot, throttled units. the thruth is that laptops gets cooler in every generation, have less wattage, while emulator gets improvement all the time, its unnoticed how laptops became capable of emulating.

Nobody gonna say to you if that laptop suits your needs. To what above was written, cpus in laptops can vary in implementations, its like one laptop can be faster than another with same hardware, depending on cooling system. But it will be OK, believe me.

Even shadow of colossus (PS2) very demanding game can hit over 100% on my 7200u, with frequent hiccups to 80% at 2x scaling, none hiccups at native, but you will get better gpu so it will be ok. I have no other game to test and that one is the worst case scenario.
Thanks for the advice! ;-)
Pages: 1 2