Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: directx or opengl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
which was one is better??
Depends on your computer afaik.
On Windows:

AMD: D3D11 or Vulkan

Nvidia: Any. D3D11 recommended for ubershaders.

Intel: D3D11

On Linux

AMD: Vulkan

Nvidia: Any

Intel: OpenGL.
i know that dx12 is still experimental but i believe that dx12 will be better than opengl in the near future
(12-29-2017, 03:22 AM)chumpz Wrote: [ -> ]i know that dx12 is still experimental but i believe that dx12 will be better than opengl in the near future

The Direct3D 12 backend has been deleted from Dolphin, so no, it won't get any better.
It's better at bein' dead
The best you could do is test by yourself different configurations and different games I think.

On mine (NVidia GTX970M on Windows 10 x64), Direct3D 12 gave me slightly better results on the stable release. But it's Vulkan (on development releases) that gave me huge improvements overall compared to Direct3D 11 or OpenGL.
It was really visible on the Ice Station level of Timesplitters 2:
  • Direct3D 11 or OpenGL with native resolution and 4x MSAA: Drops sometimes down to 30 fps, when there is lots of elements on the screen, really annoying
  • Vulkan with 3x IR (1080p), 4x MSAA, 8x anisotropic filter and hybrid ubershaders: Perfectly fluid

A friend of mine had better results with OpenGL, so it really depends on your configuration and the games you play. So just try and see...  ;)
(01-01-2018, 01:38 AM)Der Siebte Schatten Wrote: [ -> ]The best you could do is test by yourself different configurations and different games I think.

On mine (NVidia GTX970M on Windows 10 x64), Direct3D 12 gave me slightly better results on the stable release. But it's Vulkan (on development releases) that gave me huge improvements overall compared to Direct3D 11 or OpenGL.
It was really visible on the Ice Station level of Timesplitters 2:
  • Direct3D 11 or OpenGL with native resolution and 4x MSAA: Drops sometimes down to 30 fps, when there is lots of elements on the screen, really annoying
  • Vulkan with 3x IR (1080p), 4x MSAA, 8x anisotropic filter and hybrid ubershaders: Perfectly fluid

A friend of mine had better results with OpenGL, so it really depends on your configuration and the games you play. So just try and see...  Wink

That's interesting - generally people are saying that "Hybrid" ubershaders on nvidia drivers still cause stuttering on all APIs but dx11 (ie vulkan and opengl). I wonder if it's driver revision or device specific? Or you happened to test a game that doesn't hit the shader compiler as hard, or happened to have everything already in the shader cache?
(01-03-2018, 05:24 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]That's interesting - generally people are saying that "Hybrid" ubershaders on nvidia drivers still cause stuttering on all APIs but dx11 (ie vulkan and opengl). I wonder if it's driver revision or device specific? Or you happened to test a game that doesn't hit the shader compiler as hard, or happened to have everything already in the shader cache?

I had stuttering rarely, on Super Mario Sunshine for example. But when it happens, it's quite light and last for the first 10 seconds at most. Then it disappears completely...
Can't answer you how it works that way though...