Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Fullscreen 30FPS CAP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

benclau

Hi,

When i start a game in fullscreen (any game) with D3D backend and VSYNC on, i get a 30 fps cap. If i toggle windowed mode, FPS return as it should be (60 FPS).

It appears that i have Teamviewer (remote desktop software) install on my machine. If someone remotely connect to my computer, i suddenly have 60 FPS in both modes FS/Windowed. How strange???

Anyone knows the reason?

Here is my specs:

Dolphin 5.0-6056
Windows 10 fall creator
CPU: 6770K
GPU: GTX 1080ti

Thanks.
What games are you trying to play?

benclau

(12-21-2017, 10:20 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]What games are you trying to play?

DKCR
All Guitar Hero and Rock Band
Ikaruga
SMG 1 - 2
etc.

benclau

(12-21-2017, 11:16 AM)benclau Wrote: [ -> ]DKCR
All Guitar Hero and Rock Band
Ikaruga
SMG 1 - 2
etc.

Also have Dolphin 5.0-3156 and working fine with same games with same config ini file.
You could try borderless fullscreen, it's under advanced in the graphics settings. If it works properly in windowed mode, borderless fullscreen should work, as it's just a window that fills the whole screen and is displayed in front of everything else. Depending on your windows theme/aero settings, you might not even need to enable the vsync option to actually get vsync in windowed/borderless window mode.

If this works, it's not an ideal solution, as exclusive fullscreen(the default setting) should perform better. As to why it happens, well i'm gonna guess you are using a tv instead of a monitor, that happens to support 30 Hz display mode? Is the screen resolution of your windows set to the max resolution that your screen supports? If not, it might switch the resolution when going to fullscreen, with the next best refresh rate, so 30 Hz in your case.
Make sure your Nvidia drivers aren't trying to force Vsync or smething
I found this thread looking for a solution, I have the same problem here so I'll update with what I discovered instead of creating another topic. I’m investigating and this problem appeared before the Hybrid XFB and Ubershaders, the development version 5.0-4683 does not have this problem, and the version 5.0-4687 has, and continues in the most recent revision, 5.0-6276. And it only happens if the "Render to Main Window" option is used, and use "Borderless Fullscreen" does not have any effect.

I don’t have a powerful computer (far from it) but I can run many GameCube games and some Wii games on fullspeed without problems but not using these options mentioned above after this bug. After version 5.0-4687 if the fullscreen is being used with "Render to Main Window", the games are restricted at 30FPS, but if something that does not pause the emulation appear ahead (Windows 10 Game Bar, for example), the game returns to be emulated in 60FPS.

Additional Information:
Games tested: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
Intel® Core ™ i5-2310
Intel® HD Graphics 2000
Direct3D 11 Backend (I could not test OpenGL, Intel has removed support for it from the drivers for Windows 10).
(02-05-2018, 03:25 AM)Willder Wrote: [ -> ]I found this thread looking for a solution, I have the same problem here so I'll update with what I discovered instead of creating another topic. I’m investigating and this problem appeared before the Hybrid XFB and Ubershaders, the development version 5.0-4683 does not have this problem, and the version 5.0-4687 has, and continues in the most recent revision, 5.0-6276. And it only happens if the "Render to Main Window" option is used, and use "Borderless Fullscreen" does not have any effect.

I don’t have a powerful computer (far from it) but I can run many GameCube games and some Wii games on fullspeed without problems but not using these options mentioned above after this bug. After version 5.0-4687 if the fullscreen is being used with "Render to Main Window", the games are restricted at 30FPS, but if something that does not pause the emulation appear ahead (Windows 10 Game Bar, for example), the game returns to be emulated in 60FPS.

Additional Information:
Games tested: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
Intel® Core ™ i5-2310
Intel® HD Graphics 2000
Direct3D 11 Backend (I could not test OpenGL, Intel has removed support for it from the drivers for Windows 10).

Try disabling windows fullscreen optimizations (right click dolphin > properties > compatibility)
(02-05-2018, 03:46 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Try disabling windows fullscreen optimizations (right click dolphin > properties > compatibility)

The problem persists. In fact, it's not exactly anything serious since I discovered that turning off "Render to Main Window" the emulation will run at the speed it should, but even not being a developer I can have reasonable certainty that must be bug.

Thanks for the reply
The problem continues in DolphinWX in development version 5.0-6302, and now DolphinQT is crashing when switching to full screen even with the default settings. I do not know if it is related to this same bug, I'll try to find out more information when I have more free time.
Pages: 1 2