Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU performance thread - 60fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BlasterBladeVG

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my system, but I am on a budget, and want something affordable that can run the following at 60fps:

Sonic Colors
Sonic Unleashed

Also, how are coffee lake Intels when it comes to dolphin?

I simply want to know what CPU I would need to run those games. Will Ryzen do, or if not, which Intel? I am open to any opinions. Thanks!
Most non-ULV Intel chips after Haswell will do just fine, as they're almost all clocked high enough to work fine.

Ryzen has been reported to work just fine too, but only on the latest development builds.

Ryzen systems can be built for roughly $100-$150 cheaper than current Intel systems. I'd stick with Ryzen 5 and up.

BlasterBladeVG

(12-17-2017, 06:16 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Most non-ULV Intel chips after Haswell will do just fine, as they're almost all clocked high enough to work fine.

Ryzen has been reported to work just fine too, but only on the latest development builds.

Ryzen systems can be built for roughly $100-$150 cheaper than current Intel systems. I'd stick with Ryzen 5 and up.

Thanks!

What I need to know now is how well the Sonic games will run on a Ryzen system.

Do you have a ryzen you could use or know anyone who could test it?

BlasterBladeVG

(12-17-2017, 09:50 AM)BlasterBladeVG Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks!

What I need to know now is how well the Sonic games will run on a Ryzen system.

Do you have a ryzen you could use or know anyone who could test it?

One other thing...your profile says you use an i7-4790k. Should I go with something along the lines of an i5-4690k to overclock since it's used?
Intel chips don't really deprecate in value unless you can get parts second hand off of ebay or something. I wouldn't recommend building on an older process unless the cost savings is significant. And at that point, I'd compare it to a Ryzen build because current Ryzen CPUs are about as fast as Haswell. Which is pretty dang fast!

In any case, if you can get a haswell clocked to roughly 4 ghz, that should run even the most demanding things the x86_64 JIT can cook up in my experience. You will still need something stronger than Intel GPU for HD resolutions though.

In the past we've recommended a 750ti for people wanting 1080p in Dolphin. So anything about that fast or faster will do 1080p in Dolphin.

BlasterBladeVG

So, what you're saying is that Ryzen is a great option? I simply want to run Wii at 60fps using AR codes.

Optimal CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
I have a Ryzen 1600x and an RX580, I will try to dump Sonic Colors (Do not have Unleashed) and report back on how it performs on my system when I have the time, hopefully in a couple of days. TBH, I can't recall if the game runs at 60fps natively - if it doesn't, I'd have to find out all about AR codes, as I haven't touched them since the Wind Waker heat distortion "fix." Still, if it's a hack that you're going for, even if it's unstable on my Ryzen system that might be more because it's a hack, and not because of the CPU in question, right? Hopefully someone else chimes in - again, it's been a while since I've messed with AR, and have not messed with 60fps hacks at all.

While you wait, I'll recommend a channel which greatly helped me figure out what I could expect from a Ryzen system as far as Dolphin is concerned. Keep in mind that while this looks good, he is playing on the stable version of Dolphin and not the development version, which, in my personal testing, gave my Ryzen chip a roughly 20-25% performance boost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sdGpYFpEPc& he also has other games that render 60fps natively like DBZ Budokai and Mario Kart Wii running at 60FPS very stable, FWIW. Still, even though single core performance is still inferior to Intel, in multicore it blows Intel out of the water, and so with still very good performance in Dolphin it makes me feel like I've gotten a good value and have a more future-proof system, because more and more software and games are taking advantage of multicore CPUs, but that's a heated discussion to have in another thread. Big Grin
Sonic Colors doesn't run 60FPS natively, but there is a patch on the wiki that makes it run at 60FPS.
We have some bench after the Intel bug debacle and Windows 10 update patch?
Shouldn't really affect us. We don'make tons of syscalls at all

Feel free to run povray