Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii games on razer blade : 60% and lags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Sechs_

Hi guys !
I’m quite new to the world of Dolphin. I downloaded it a few days ago and tested some games on gamecube, including mario sunshine and wind waker. It seems to run smoothly, fast enough to be played.
But I then tried Super Mario Galaxy on Wii. I tried lot’s of settings, but the game keeps lagging, and rendering around 40 fps and 50-66 % of its speed.

I have an early 2017 razer blade, here are the specs (i thought it should run the game at full speed) :
Processor
Intel Core i7-7700HQ (Intel Core i7)
Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (Laptop) - 6144 MB, Core: 1404 MHz, Memory: 8008 MHz, GDDR5, 378.92, Optimus
Memory
16278 MB  , DDR4 Dual-Channel
Mainboard
Intel HM175

Here are the screenshots of my dolphin config :

I’m looking for advices to make my Wii games run smoothly, I think I missed something about dolphin config.

Best regards,
Sechs

PS : I corrected my message in order not to mention anything illegal or against the chart of the forum.
Auto Window Size. Thaaat's your issue! Set it to 1x Native, and increase it slowly increase it until it starts slowing down.

Also you should really use the latest dev builds. There are a LOT of improvements since 5.0!

(and you really shouldn't have disable fog, force force texture filtering, and Skip EFB Access from CPU on all the time)
You also might want to disable cheats while testing as cheats can cause Dolphin to crash or behave oddly

Sechs_

Hi : ).

Thanks for your answers. I tried to apply your advices. I donwloaded the lastest dev build (5.0 - 6022).
But it appears that SMG is still lagging. The emulated game fluctuates between 66/70% and 100%. I set it to 1xNative and I used OpenGL (screenshots included). OpenGL seems (only seems) to work slightly better than direct11 for the GTX1060.

I don't get it. I already read that article : https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide and applied the configuration advices.
Could you help me to investigate where the bottleneck lies in my config ?
For information i can run the witcher 4 full hd on my laptop so I quite don't understand the lags with wii games on dolphin.

Thanks again : ).
Best regards,
Sechs
(12-10-2017, 07:34 PM)Sechs_ Wrote: [ -> ]Hi : ).

Thanks for your answers. I tried to apply your advices. I donwloaded the lastest dev build (5.0 - 6022).
But it appears that SMG is still lagging. The emulated game fluctuates between 66/70% and 100%. I set it to 1xNative and I used OpenGL (screenshots included). OpenGL seems (only seems) to work slightly better than direct11 for the GTX1060.

I don't get it. I already read that article : https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide and applied the configuration advices.
Could you help me to investigate where the bottleneck lies in my config ?
For information i can run the witcher 4 full hd on my laptop so I quite don't understand the lags with wii games on dolphin.

Thanks again : ).
Best regards,
Sechs

Is Battery Boost turned on in Geforce Experience? It limits VSYNC/maxframes rendered per second to 40 (at least on my Optimus laptop) which is indeed a 33% drop in speed (or 66% speed) Try turning that off.

Sechs_

(12-10-2017, 10:12 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Is Battery Boost turned on in Geforce Experience? It limits VSYNC/maxframes rendered per second to 40 (at least on my Optimus laptop) which is indeed a 33% drop in speed (or 66% speed) Try turning that off.
Battery boost was turned on. I turned it off, relaunched the game, doesn't seem to change anything. Still 67% : ( (actually oscillate between 64 - 70%).
Actually Dolphin isn't recognized as a game in Gefore Experience.
Do you have a High Performance power plan for it in Nvidia Control Panel?
Just to make sure, you're plugged to the AC adapter when gaming, right? Also, check your temperatures while emulating SMG, your laptop might be overheating...
(12-10-2017, 07:34 PM)Sechs_ Wrote: [ -> ]OpenGL (screenshots included). OpenGL seems (only seems) to work slightly better than direct11

Did you at least try Vulkan? (no idea if it'd actually work better, but you may as well give it a whirl)
Use the Nvidia control panel and you can either set this as the global default or just for Dolphin's executable, but change Power Managment Mode from Optimal to Maxium Performance. Nvidia does not recognize emulators properly and does not clock the GPU properly on Optimal setting (on certain cards in certain circumstances and my guess is that this is one of them).
Pages: 1 2