Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will an old hard drive slow down dolphin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey my old ps3 slim died out not to long ago and i decided to remove it's old 250gb hard drive and just use it for roms and nothing else. I was wondering if it would slow down dolphin in any way since that hard drive is from 2009 and it's pretty slow compared to today's standards. what is dolphin's usual read speeds? sometimes i see it fluctuate to 50mb on my ssd while playing F zero Gx
Pretty much any hard drive from this millennium is faster than an optical drive like Wii/Gamecube games originally shipped on, so you shouldn't have problems unless Sony seriously cheaped out. We usually have to emulate the delay of loading something from an optical drive anyway as some games have race conditions where the CPU may not have finished doing something important but switch to processing loaded data as soon as it's ready, abandoning the earlier task.
(11-26-2017, 01:49 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much any hard drive from this millennium is faster than an optical drive like Wii/Gamecube games originally shipped on, so you shouldn't have problems unless Sony seriously cheaped out. We usually have to emulate the delay of loading something from an optical drive anyway as some games have race conditions where the CPU may not have finished doing something important but switch to processing loaded data as soon as it's ready, abandoning the earlier task.

Ah thank you so much that clears up a lot. I've been a dolphin user since early 2015 now but in terms of storage i have a 250gb ssd for windows, 250gb for steam games which will be upgraded to a 1tb firecuda sshd for steam. but i used to keep about 60gb worth of roms on my steam hard drive. for some reason my old hard drive which i had since 2009 had gave out. i gutted it from my moms on windows 7 pc lol.
(11-26-2017, 01:49 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much any hard drive from this millennium is faster than an optical drive like Wii/Gamecube games originally shipped on, so you shouldn't have problems unless Sony seriously cheaped out. We usually have to emulate the delay of loading something from an optical drive anyway as some games have race conditions where the CPU may not have finished doing something important but switch to processing loaded data as soon as it's ready, abandoning the earlier task.

i'm getting a whole bunch of micro stutters which i did not have before. i have hybrid shaders on 
(11-26-2017, 02:31 PM)thisbirch221 Wrote: [ -> ]i'm getting a whole bunch of micro stutters which i did not have before. i have hybrid shaders on 

If using Vulkan, turn off vsync. Don’t worry, screen won’t tear.
(11-26-2017, 12:36 PM)thisbirch221 Wrote: [ -> ]sometimes i see it fluctuate to 50mb on my ssd while playing F zero Gx

Dolphin shouldn't be reading at 50 MB/s when you're playing a game. GameCube games should only go up to 3.5 MB/s or so, and Wii games should go up to 8.5 MB/s. Make sure that you haven't enabled the per-game setting "Speed up Disk Transfer Rate".
(11-26-2017, 05:28 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin shouldn't be reading at 50 MB/s when you're playing a game. GameCube games should only go up to 3.5 MB/s or so, and Wii games should go up to 8.5 MB/s. Make sure that you haven't enabled the per-game setting "Speed up Disk Transfer Rate".

Speed up disc transfer rate is disabled. yeah usually i see 0.1mb- 10mb usually but mario sunshine stutters like crazy on the old hard drive. I use dx11. i've never had a problem with dolphin but this hard drive is giving me issues