Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [UI] Remove fullscreen resolution UI. (PR #6196 from Helios747) NO NO NOOOO!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, let me explain why
I don't have a  monitor, I have a 4K tv. I have a bunch of apps that do NOT like 4K resolution very well. DPI does NOT fix them at all. I use my desktop in 1080 because all of my stuff runs perfectly without a hitch at that resolution. All the programs and games that can use 4K have the option to run the switch the resolution to 3840*2160, the 4K of my TV, and runs absolutely beautifully! I leave my desktop running in 1080 so the programs that I use that don't support it, nor can be fixed by selecting a bigger DPI don't have a microscopic print. Dolphin settings on my system were to run at 6X resolution, Hybrid ubershaders, and set the resolution to 3840*2160. Everything was glorious...until today! I updated dolphin a bit ago, and today I finally decided to play some Mario Galaxy... oh it was NOT glorious anymore!! There was nothing wrong with the option being there. Why oh WHY did you remove it!? couldn't it be an option to be borderless window mode, and leave an option to switch full-screen resolution alone? give an option don't take it! A borderless window is what you implemented, not an exclusive full screen.

I don't mean to sound like I am ranting, but I really do believe that you have removed an option that made this great, and I had to speak out! Is the VERY SAME THING I criticised about PCSX2. It has options to take resolution sky high and yet does not have an option to use the 4K on my TV without manually changing resolution first. YES I'm lazy like that, YES I like to set thing to the point that you just click and all options are set for you, YES I like to have useless options to tinker with, YES I HATE to lose my options. Please reconsider the resolution option! Modifying the ini sounds like a hassle when I could just go to the options and click on it! With that little update, dolphin lost a lot of points. I now see it like this... Another EMU that cannot set the resolution for you. Just give the option for borderless window or exclusive fullscreen... pretty please! Confused

I wanted to post 2 pictures for an example of what happens, but they're too big to upload.
The option is still available, it's just only controllable through the INI now. And borderless window (exclusive fullscreen is default) is still an option in the UI and it's not going away?
The setting was confusing at least a few users who seemed to think it might in some way affect performance or otherwise need to be different to their monitor resolution. Typically, in PC games, you change the fullscreen resolution as a last resort if you can't get something to run at your monitor's native resolution, but in Dolphin, the setting most similar to that is the IR. If people are getting confused and meddling with the setting in a misguided attempt to make things run faster (and therefore potentially not realising that there's another setting they're supposed to tweak instead) it makes sense to get rid of it and have it automatically match the monitor's native resolution.

The issue here is that the monitor's native resolution is not the same as the desktop resolution. I doubt that any consideration of this use case was made when the PR was created, as except for you just now, I've never heard of a single sane person who's got their desktop and monitor resolution at different values intentionally. I'm afraid that as the power-user edge case, you're probably just going to have to deal with setting this manually in the INI file as the net problems caused by making it more complicated with your use case are probably fewer than those caused for other users by putting the setting back.
MayImilae
 I found the setting and tinkered with it, but I see no difference. I also tinkered with the ini and found the setting where it says auto, and changed that to my resolution and worked, but I noticed something...
the ini ALSO has this line
FullscreenResolution = 3840x2160
in addition to the FullscreenDisplayRes = Auto
is that normal, or are they completely different things?
I guess this gives me another thing to tinker around with. I'll play around with my PC resolution again. maybe creators edition fixed the DPI issue I got... (wishful thinking I know...)

I'll let you know what I find.

AnyOldName3
Is not that I'm not using the desktop resolution and monitor resolution is different, is just that 4K and windows make some really funky things. for example, what just happened a little bit ago;
I got a program update and had the checkboxes and what not, BUT... text and fine and readable, the checkbox was a tiny weensy little green dot.
I avoid making using 4K resolution because of this. That is NOT the only thing that goes stupid using 4K, as beautiful as it is with all the other things that DO work.
The INI setting's name was changed to make sure that users who had it set to something other than auto wouldn't be stuck with it.

The current name is FullscreenDisplayRes. Set that to whatever you need.

Anyways, nothing you brought up refutes what reasons were given in the two PRs. Sorry. I'm not going to be the one to revert it.

By the way are you confusing this with Internal Resolution? Because that controls what resolution the emulator renders in internally and is what gives you "HD"

Finally, we do have an option to toggle exclusive fullscreen / borderless mode. Switch your backend to Direct3D. It will be in the advanced tab
No, I didn't confuse it. I know what internal resolution is. you need a high internal resolution to make 4K look pretty. Heck, it makes 1080 look pretty, but you don't need 6X for 1080.Anyway, I played around with the ini, and with the desktop resolution and DEFINITELY, the best option in my case is to edit the ini. I tried a few things that are not 4K friendly, and DPI STILL does not fix the issues. <sigh> I was liking it too. Anyway, guys thx for the attention, it IS a one time edit all you need anyway.

Now, like I said I was going to try the borderless option on both resolutions, and... well I did not see a difference. It changes from window to full screen exactly the same way. Alt+enter, and it's a quick skip between one mode and the other. Is that what it supposed to do, or was I supposed to see a difference? Didn't hurt anything either way, and I did that BEFORE I edited the ini.

All in all, I guess is all good. I thought the full-screen option was lost and was a little heartbroken. Thanks for telling me what to do though! Wink
No problem.

In all seriousness, your use case is very likely less than a single digit % of our users. This is partially why I left the INI option in. It had no maintenance cost, users weren't abusing it to ill effect, and a very small handful of users could use it.
On my laptop, which doesn't have a very good gpu and have GDDR3 VRAM (which really struggles with 1080p gaming), I also found this option useful.
When I'm using 2x or 1x IR, I set it to 720p, it slightly improves performance (something about 4 FPS in average) and I have less slowdowns.

Even on games that claims that 1080p is not a big deal because you can render 3D at a lower sample (like Overwatch and Rocket League), I lower the resolution to 720p because it improves performance.
GPU upscaling is trivial on the GPU. Like, actually trivial.

Also, you get no benefit unless you use D3D and exclusive fullscreen. Which the user will have no way of knowing
(11-23-2017, 02:29 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Also, you get no benefit unless you use D3D and exclusive fullscreen.

Sorry, but I still don't see how this makes sense...
Pages: 1 2