Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Game Stutter while Loading new level/menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Testing smash bros melee I keep getting stuttering when I enter a new menu or start a new level. Attempted using D3D wi. with Ubershaders disabled/hybrid/exclusive. Also tried with OpenGL/Vulkan made no difference. The stuttering is very brief, only a couple seconds.
It'll drop from about 60fps to 23fps then jump back up. When this happens the audio will stutter as well.

The only setting I've tried enabling in graphic hacks is Immediately Present XFB but this changed nothing.

I tested running the game at native resolution in fullscreen but this didn't change anything. (was running it @ 2560*2112)

The frame drops only seem to happen in fullscreen in mode.

I've noticed it happening when:
  • returning from the character select screen to the main menu.
  • entering the level select screen.
  • loading a level.
  • celebration screen.

SPECS: 980ti/6700k/16GB RAM
DOLPHIN BUILD: 5.0-5874
Alright so the only thing that apparently is mitigating the issue is turning on "Speed Up Disc Transfer Speed".  This almost completely eliminates it but you can still notice some slight audio distortion where the frame drops occur.  Unfortunately this also breaks audio in smash after awhile as the BGM stops.

I tried Sin & Punishment on the wii and I noticed the stuttering as well (this is using D3D and hybrid ubershaders mode).

Also, because this happens literally every time I load a level in smash (even if I played it before) it doesn't seem like this is a shader cache issue.

I noticed searching through previous threads someone said to use gpu texture decoding.  Unfortunately this is only apparently available when using OpenGL.  So I used OpenGL and turned this on but the frame drops remain.

I want to be clear this is ONLY happening when I make Dolphin go fullscreen.  In windowed mode if I maximize the window Dolphin will not stutter in the same places anymore.  

Ideas?
(11-20-2017, 08:11 PM)rookiecookie Wrote: [ -> ]Alright so the only thing that apparently is mitigating the issue is turning on "Speed Up Disc Transfer Speed".  This almost completely eliminates it but you can still notice some slight audio distortion where the frame drops occur.  Unfortunately this also breaks audio in smash after awhile as the BGM stops.

That's odd. SUDTR normally increases the account of stuttering.

Does the problem happen both with dual core enabled and disabled?
(11-20-2017, 10:29 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]That's odd. SUDTR normally increases the account of stuttering.

Does the problem happen both with dual core enabled and disabled?

Yes I've tried with both dual core on/off in my test configuations.  

I have however found a solution!

I was going to record a video on OBS to demonstrate the problem and noticed OBS wasn't capturing my fullscreen window.  I eventually figured out that I could render to the main screen in Dolphin for OBS to actually capture anything fullscreen.

Rendering to the main window resolves the drops!

If I turn off Render to Main Window the drops return.

Definitely seems like there is a problem somewhere when Dolphin renders fullscreen to a separate window.

For reference, this is using Windows 10-64bit Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

(also keep in mind this problem occurs using Vulkan,OpenGL or D3D when Dolphin renders fullscreen on a separate window).

If you'd like any other info let me know.  

Unfortunately I can't record the problem with OBS because like I said, it refuses to capture Dolphin when it's in fullscreen in a separate window.
Okay so I was incorrect with my assumptions about using render to main window.

Instead, it seems that it was OBS that was fixing the stutter issue somehow (dafuk?!?). And only when I was recording through OBS. I know this doesn't make much sense and no one will believe me so I recorded the screen to demonstrate.

Here is the video link:

https://youtu.be/v5rkvKXGne8

EDIT: I'd like to add it's not just focusing on another window and going back to melee (alt tabbing). It's actually going to obs, starting recording and going back to melee.

Does OBS recording do something to the way Windows handle fullscreen applications? Is this "tricking" Dolphin into running what I assume would be borderless window fullscreen? Because I assume "fullscreen" in Dolphin means exclusive fullscreen.

EDIT 2: Enabling borderless fullscreen in graphic->advanced->misc doesn't change anything. Still stuttering. So currently the only workaround is to use OBS recording while I play a game in fullscreen or run in windowed.

EDIT 3: So I think I may have found the root of the problem. I decided to go in nvidia control panel and disable vsync for dolphin. Doing this seems to have resolved all frame drops in full screen. I'm not sure how this relates to the OBS recording solution. I will test other games to verify that turning vsync off in control panel has indeed worked and report back.