Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: NAND Merge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Using latest dev build - 5.0-5831)

I have two NAND BootMii backups; one of my original Wii, and one of the virtual Wii of my Wii U. I had since transferred my Wii content to my Wii U since it was beginning to break down. I had packed the WADs from the WiiV NAND to use VC games in the dolphin menu.

On dolphin, the original Wii NAND works 100% correctly; it just doesn't have the content it originally had (VC games) because, obviously, I had it transferred. Dolphin menu VC games work, but won't have their desired saves.

The WiiV NAND displays as Wii System Menu ?.? on the dropdown menu, and will crash dolphin on attempting to open the menu. Dolphin menu VC games work with proper saves (though they're still not signed for some reason), but opening the system menu is impossible.

I can sort of get around this by first importing the broken WiiV NAND, and then importing the normal Wii NAND. This gives a hybrid NAND with proper menu functionality, and with the proper saves of the Wii U version, but uses the Wii NAND's key, so I can't access the desired content via the system menu (and accessing the Wii Shop Channel in this state will erase the WiiV saves). This isn't too big of a deal since I have backups of both NANDs incase something goes wrong.

Essentially what I'm looking for is this: Could I craft a proper hybrid NAND that uses the functional menus of the Wii NAND, but has the content/keys of the WiiV NAND so I can use my purchased VC games from the system menu? Or just the WiiV NAND with a working menu in general?

This is mostly superfluous thanks to dolphin's menu, but having the option to use the Wii System Menu properly is nice.

Thank you for all the hard work on this software!
You can, but not by importing one NAND first then the other one. Doing this (in any order) is likely to break things horribly because of how shared contents work.

I think the easiest way to do what you want would be to use your vWii NAND, remove all system titles (delete /title/00000001, /title/00010002 and /title/00010008), then use Dolphin's Wii update feature to reinstall them. For the keys, just use your Wii's keys.bin.
(11-20-2017, 02:41 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]You can, but not by importing one NAND first then the other one. Doing this (in any order) is likely to break things horribly because of how shared contents work.

I think the easiest way to do what you want would be to use your vWii NAND, remove all system titles (delete /title/00000001, /title/00010002 and /title/00010008), then use Dolphin's Wii update feature to reinstall them. For the keys, just use your Wii's keys.bin.

Thanks! I can now boot to the system menu with just the WiiV NAND. Sadly this isn't quite enough to access the purchased VC titles.

My original Wii didn't produce a keys.bin when backed up (I guess a result of being a blank slate after a transfer), and I can't try a second backup from there since that particular Wii is now broken beyond repair. 

I've tried the generated keys.bin file from just that Wii's NAND, a replacement Wii's keys.bin, and the WiiV's keys.bin, but none of them allow for proper VC functionality. Trying to access the Wii Shop Channel with any of these mostly results in errors and the deletion of extraneous channels.
Hang on, you transferred the titles to the Wii U, right? That means your purchases are now tied to your vWii shop account, so you'll need to use your vWii key data.

The Wii U OTP/SEEPROM contents are not the same as the Wii's (obviously), so you will need a tool like https://github.com/CuriousTommy/ShowMiiVWiiKeys to convert the dump to the Wii format.
(11-20-2017, 03:26 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Hang on, you transferred the titles to the Wii U, right? That means your purchases are now tied to your vWii shop account, so you'll need to use your vWii key data.

The Wii U OTP/SEEPROM contents are not the same as the Wii's (obviously), so you will need a tool like https://github.com/CuriousTommy/ShowMiiVWiiKeys to convert the dump to the Wii format.

That's right. So the vWii keys.bin I got won't suffice or is not correct. Looks like I need to install homebrew on my Wii U to get the otp.bin file needed for this.

Thanks for the help!
No problem. PS: Don't forget to restart Dolphin every time after copying keys.bin to the NAND root -- Dolphin won't use the new key information until you do so.
(11-20-2017, 05:00 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]No problem. PS: Don't forget to restart Dolphin every time after copying keys.bin to the NAND root -- Dolphin won't use the new key information until you do so.

Finally have access to my Wii U. The otp.bin was extracted w/ the keys.bin further extracted and implemneted. Now everything appears to be running very well. Thank you!