Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: To the Screen with Hybrid XFB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Well, it's not frame by frame. KdenLive is keyframe based!
I've been testing several games and I do not really see a difference in performance between any of the three options: RAM & Textures, Textures Only and Immediately Present. This has lead me to just keep the safest option if RAM & Textures by default.

Are there some specific games that struggle with this safest of options?
It's slower at higher resolutions is what I find.
(11-22-2017, 01:23 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It's slower at higher resolutions is what I find.

OK.  I run at 3xIR.  Perhaps at 4K level resolutions the impact can be felt.  It was actually a good thing to learn as now I know I can simply follow the safe route without losing anything.  I did find that this release is a few frames slower than what I was previously using (5763), regardless of XFB settings, but nothing that should get in the way of progress.

Great job on the article.
(11-20-2017, 04:05 AM)Shadorino Wrote: [ -> ]I've been following Dolphin's development closely for 5 years now, what has been accomplished is truly impressive. It is by far the most advanced emulator of any console, there's a lot to be proud of.
I'm especially glad that the GameCube logo startup animation can now be played without having to enable XFB manually beforehand ^^
"Immediately Present XFB" will distort the animation and screw up the sound though.

On on another note, I've fired up Mario Sunshine to see if something changed about the pixelated goo/depth of field problem.
Before Hybrid XFB, disabling Scaled EFB Copy made the goo render correctly, but the depth of filed at 1x IR, as explained here : https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...o_Sunshine
So we had to choose to either have pixelated goo and high IR everywhere, or normal looking goo and about half the screen running in locked 1x IR.
Now disabling Scaled EFB Copy renders everything at 1x IR. We can't have normal looking goo anymore. Which can be a problem for some people, but personally, I preferred playing in high IR and have pixelated goo than the depth of field rendered at 1x and the rest at high IR. This gives an opportunity to look into this issue, which is I believe the last one for this game.

I've been testing, and it is indeed the Hybrid XFB build where this started.
I don't understand how Hybrid XFB would affect that? It only affects the output process, nothing to do on the actual GPU...
I have no idea. I have very little knowledge about this. Maybe something else has been changed in this build ?
As I said in an earlier post, I'm exactly seeing the same thing, only it happens in every game I've tried rather than specific ones that I posted earlier. Previously, turning scaled EFB copies off would only render certain effects at 1x IR, now everything is rendered at 1x IR with them turned off. Build 5.0-5874, the first mainline Hybrid XFB build, was the build that introduced the change in behaviour.
Lightbulb clicked in my head, and I think I understand this now.

XFB Copies ARE a form of EFB Copies... so, what if they're getting scaled down to 1X with Scaled EFB Copies off? That'd explain the behavior you guys are getting. Probably is a side-effect.
Under DX11, when I do texture dumps, they are garbled and corrupted with this new Hybrid XFB.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8