Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Assorted Questions about Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am a new user to Dolphin. So far I have played a few Gamecube games on it and I see already it's quite a fantastic piece of software. Thanks to all those who are developing and contributing for making such a piece of software, it's truly fantastic.

On to questions I guess Tongue

For starters here are the specifications...

I am using SVN 4425 from the biweekly releases.

PC: C2D E8400 @ 3.3 Ghz, 9800 GTX 512 MB, 2 GB RAM @ 1000 MHz, Windows 7 RC Build 7100

1. I have tried everything--I've spent a lot of time searching for a solution that would work for me in this forum for example--with Resident Evil Zero, but I cannot get the character models to be visible on top of the background. I either have to look at the background and 2D menus or look at wireframe models, but I cannot do both unfortunately... It is the NTSC version if that matters.

In OpenGL I can use wireframe to see all 3D objects, but otherwise or in DX9 I can't get anything visible other than the 2D backgrounds.

If I need another build I have been having trouble finding where to download them and for the older builds I've tried I've even had trouble getting them to work.

2. How do I get the software renderer plugin? I only have the DX9 and OpenGL plugins, or is the software plugin included as part of one of these two or both? Is the software mode/plugin more compatible/accurate emulating with games such as Resident Evil Zero? How is the performance difference also?

3. Are there any plans to support DX10 in the future? Dolphin seems very sophisticated already and it seems like the new features from DX10 could make emulation even better. For PCSX2 it is considerably more accurate and the memory management is much better.

4. Some scenes in Twilight Princess--such as in the vast field scenes--I get slowdowns down to about 70%. Are there any tips to increase performance on Twilight Princess here or in general over all games? This is in DX9.

In OpenGL I get considerably less performance. Most scenes in OpenGL I get about 80% speed, but I've noticed the graphics are much cleaner and effects seem to be emulated much more accurately. Are there any tips to improving performance in OpenGL mode so they match up more with DX9 performance?

5. How do I know what internal resolution the game is running at while in DX9 or OpenGL mode? Does it run simply at the resolution of the window?

Thanks in advance for any help, it will be much appreciated.

Cheers Smile
Hey, sorry to double post and I don't mean to bump for no reason... but I would really appreciate some help with these issues, namely with Resident Evil Zero and getting more performance out of the OpenGL plugin.

Also, are there any resources where we can find many different builds and plugins for Dolphin? I find the main site download page rather difficult to navigate.

I know I made a long post, but that's only because I am very enthusiastic about playing GC games on PC! Smile

Thanks in advance.
Well... if this will help anyone, I did solve my issue with invisible characters in Resident Evil Zero.

The game does not display characters in SVN 4525. R4525 is from the bi-weekly releases.

To fix the problem I simply downloaded SVN 4579. The game now displays characters in both OpenGL graphics and DirectX9 graphics.

If you need help finding some of the newer versions of Dolphin you can visit this section of the forum: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/forum-6.html (the dolphin SVN and development forum) and click on the sticky threads with new builds...

Or you can click here for a direct link to a lot of newer builds by Xtreme2damax: http://www.xtemu.com/forum/svn-builds-do...cat25.html

Hope that can help someone else.

If anyone can answer my other questions that would be very helpful Smile

I also have some new questions:

1. How many cores does Dolphin support? And

2. What is the performance difference between x86 (32-bit) and 64-bit Dolphin in your experience?

Cheers.