Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: using a console's graphics card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Emeraldtroll

Is there any possible way I can use my Wii u or Xbox one's graphics card on my pc. Intel HD Graphics is the worst thing ever Angry
So I wondered if I could somehow hook up my Wii u or Xbox one and use it as a kind of external graphics card.
And yes my pc has a Thunderbolt port.

What I mean is using my console's graphics card on my pc (with the terrible intel graphics card)
I want to play dolphin in not bad graphics, as well as other games that I have that run at 2 FPS.

If this is possible, please tell me exactly what I should get.
Here is some extra info:

I do have the power supply for both consoles.
I have 2 USB ports, an HDMI, and USB C.
I have a 13 port USB A adapter if I need more ports.
I do not have a capture card yet.
I want to play dolphin games on my PC without lag and having to go through a whole process of hacking my console.

That is about it. This is the only place I know about that has people that know how to work with a Wii U. I just mentioned the Xbox if I can not do it with a Wii U. I do not know if the Wii is any different than a Wii U.

Emeraldtroll

(11-19-2017, 06:59 AM)Emeraldtroll Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any possible way I can use my Wii u or Xbox one's graphics card on my pc. Intel HD Graphics is the worst thing ever  Angry
So I wondered if I could somehow hook up my Wii u or Xbox one and use it as a kind of external graphics card.
And yes my pc has a Thunderbolt port.

What I mean is using my console's graphics card on my pc (with the terrible intel graphics card)
I want to play dolphin in not bad graphics, as well as other games that I have that run at 2 FPS.

If this is possible, please tell me exactly what I should get.
Here is some extra info:

I do have the power supply for both consoles.
I have 2 USB ports, an HDMI, and USB C.
I have a 13 port USB A adapter if I need more ports.
I do not have a capture card yet.
I want to play dolphin games on my PC without lag and having to go through a whole process of hacking my console.

That is about it. This is the only place I know about that has people that know how to work with a Wii U. I just mentioned the Xbox if I can not do it with a Wii U. I do not know if the Wii is any different than a Wii U.

I also don't know it it is allowed to talk about this kind of thing in the forums.
No, this is not possible.

It will use completely different interfaces to the PC (Thunderbolt is PCI-E the wii won't use PCI-E but it's own bus), so they won't be able to talk to each other. It'll also likely not support features required to run the rest of the windows system - no desktop, no multiple processes, nothing.

It'll also likely be significantly slower than any intel integrated chip made this decade in anything but wii/gamecube games. And for those, you may as well just play on the console itself, as without the other features of a PC available, and no performance increase, there' no advantage to using a PC at all.

Emeraldtroll

(11-19-2017, 07:20 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]No, this is not possible.

It will use completely different interfaces to the PC (Thunderbolt is PCI-E the wii won't use PCI-E but it's own bus), so they won't be able to talk to each other. It'll also likely not support features required to run the rest of the windows system - no desktop, no multiple processes, nothing.

It'll also likely be significantly slower than any intel integrated chip made this decade in anything but wii/gamecube games. And for those, you may as well just play on the console itself, as without the other features of a PC available, and no performance increase, there' no advantage to using a PC at all.

OK, I will study just a bit more to be sure.
Thank you.
If I can't find anything, I will just get a new computer... for 700 dollars...
You seem to have a brand new computer. If that Thunderbolt port is a Thunderbolt 3 port (which it probably is), you can get an external GPU dock that will house a standard GPU to use as a rendering system. I think you need a separate monitor (not the built-in laptop one) to use this though. However, these docks are like $200-$300, plus a GPU, can cost about as much as making a dedicated gaming desktop just for Dolphin.

However, the Intel i7-7500U and HD 620 should be fine for running Dolphin at 1x or 2x Resolution on the latest Dolphin 5.0 dev builds.