Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Setting recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! Pretty new here as I just discovered Dolphin a couple days ago. Have to say great work on this emu. Smile

I have an i5-750 OCed to 4ghz with 8gb 1600 gskill ram and a gtx 760 on windows 7sp1 64.  I am looking to play Xenoblade Chronicles with the HD texture pack.  Also running all this on a SSD.

I got it running pretty good on this PC though the voices sounds a little strange to me, a little like mickey mouse and was wondering if that's just my older hardware or maybe some settings I got wrong. Almost forgot my PC is on a HDTV and the sound runs through my home cinema 5.1 system.

My config:

[Image: Untitled.png]

My son also is playing this game on his older PC it's an old work pc  compaq presario that I shoved in an old 5770 gpu.

[Image: Untitled.png]

For this PC the setting are the same as mine except I put general graphic display option to auto, auto and in enhancement his res is at Native instead of 3x native with AA off.  Everything else is the same and he is using the same HD texture pack.

It plays okay no slow down so far while playing except again funny voices and his sound like mickey mouse with a big cold? Just to compare mine sounds like squeaky mickey mouse his sounds like squeaky mickey mouse with a whisky voice...lol

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Set Speedlimit to 100%
Oh I see this indeed helped on my PC with the squeaky voice but then I get a visual glitch. I guess it's put up with a slight visual glitch or put up with squeaky voice?

Oh I see it says when speed is increased audio pitch is increased unless audio stretching is enabled, heh I missed that when I was setting this up.

If I put speed up to 120% to get rid of visual glitch how do I set up audio stretching? I mean buffer is at 80ms by default?

BTW thank you for the reply!
(11-17-2017, 11:56 AM)SpaceDandy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I see this indeed helped on my PC with the squeaky voice but then I get a visual glitch.  I guess it's put up with a slight visual glitch or put up with squeaky voice?

Oh I see it says when speed is increased audio pitch is increased unless audio stretching is enabled, heh I missed that when I was setting this up.  

If I put speed up to 120% to get rid of visual glitch how do I set up audio stretching?  I mean buffer is at 80ms by default?  

BTW thank you for the reply!

It might be more interesting to say what visual glitch you get and add a screenshot of it instead of running 120% speed. There might be an easy way to solve the glitch, while the game isn't supposed to run at 120% but on 100%. The other thing is: Audiostretching is exactly that; it stretches the audio so it will sound right if you can NOT get 100% but get less than 99% speed. You want to "unstretch" audio so it doesn't play too fast, but then it doesn't sync with the game anymore since the game will still expect 120% audio.

Also playing at 120% might break the game in some way no one can exactly predict, since it runs faster than the Wii (or GameCube) expects.

Try to use the CubeB audio back end since, at least on my machine, it is a bit faster.
and make sure you are on the latest development version, as this solves a lot of visual glitches and has other improvements (looks like you already are though since you are using Ubershaders Wink )

I'm quite impressed that you are able to play these games on CPU's that are basically 10 years old now. When I tried my old Phenom X4 9550 it was neigh impossible to get 100% on any game except for the lightest ones.
(11-17-2017, 11:56 AM)SpaceDandy Wrote: [ -> ]If I put speed up to 120% to get rid of visual glitch how do I set up audio stretching? I mean buffer is at 80ms by default?

You just have to enable the audio stretching checkbox, really. You might want to reduce the buffer a bit if you want lower audio latency, but other than that, adjusting the buffer isn't needed.

And I agree with mstreurman, it would be useful for us to know what this visual glitch is so that we can try to solve it so you don't have to play the game at the wrong speed as a workaround.

(11-17-2017, 06:27 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]You want to "unstretch" audio so it doesn't play too fast, but then it doesn't sync with the game anymore since the game will still expect 120% audio.

What the audio stretching option actually will do in this case is pitch shift the audio so that the pitch is normal but the speed still is 120%. The audio can never desync with the game in modern versions of Dolphin, no matter what settings you use.

(11-17-2017, 06:27 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Also playing at 120% might break the game in some way no one can exactly predict, since it runs faster than the Wii (or GameCube) expects.

No, changing the speed limit is safe. The emulated console isn't able to detect that it's being emulated at a different speed, since every component of it is running at the new speed. (Unless the RTC always runs on host time...?)
Trying to get a video of the glitch but it's not showing up in my twitch video or on screenshots...will try and film it differently.

Here you can see it now in middle of screen and at bottom:
https://youtu.be/m5uFskMLSqY

Quality of my vids are much better on twitch but it doesn't show up there so I had to film by hand lol  This is on twitch if you guys want to compare.  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/202131398

Btw this goes completely away when I use 120% speed and audio seems fine with audio stretching enabled.

I also have the 60fps gecko code enabled so I wonder if that could have an effect, in the thread for this code it says you maybe need to run at 110% or more to avoid slow downs in battle.

Thank you guys for the  more in depth explanations.

Edit:  Yeah my old 750 has been OC @4ghz for the last 7 years or so and has held up quite well, really happy with its longevity for gaming.  My son really needs a new PC so I am looking to build him a ryzen 1600 build soonish and thus I will have to keep using my my  i5-750 for a while longer!
I can't see the problem clearly, but maybe it's screen tearing... Does enabling vsync help? If you're using the PAL version (Europe/Oceania) of the game, make sure that Wii > Use PAL60 Mode is enabled.

(11-18-2017, 07:09 AM)SpaceDandy Wrote: [ -> ]I also have the 60fps gecko code enabled so I wonder if that could have an effect, in the thread for this code it says you maybe need to run at 110% or more to avoid slow downs in battle.

Keep in mind that it says that you might need to increase the Emulated CPU Clock, not the speed limit.

The 60 fps code might be affecting things. If the things I mentioned above didn't help, see if the problem happens when you're not using the 60 fps code.
(11-18-2017, 07:21 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I can't see the problem clearly, but maybe it's screen tearing... Does enabling vsync help? If you're using the PAL version (Europe/Oceania) of the game, make sure that Wii > Use PAL60 Mode is enabled.

Keep in mind that it says that you might need to increase the Emulated CPU Clock, not the speed limit.

The 60 fps code might be affecting things. If the things I mentioned above didn't help, see if the problem happens when you're not using the 60 fps code.

Using the US version.  The use PAL60 mode was enabled by default so I just left it on.

When I enable v sync the game wont load up, v sync is not something I ever played much with in games so not sure how that works.  I am playing on my HDTV btw so maybe it's just that the issue.  It could be screen tearing though I have never noticed any before in other games I play though maybe there was some but very little and I never noticed it.

Running at 110% I still notice it but running at 120% I don't see this anymore, could upping the speed like this make screen tearing less visible?

I have tried disabling the 60fps code and that changes nothing, it's not really a big deal now that I know to check audio stretching though and voice sounds better! Got to run the wife is giving me the "come and help with supper eye" lol

Thank you for the help!
(11-18-2017, 07:57 AM)SpaceDandy Wrote: [ -> ]When I enable v sync the game wont load up, v sync is not something I ever played much with in games so not sure how that works.

Ah, right, the bootup of this game doesn't like vsync if you're using Dolphin's default settings. You can get around that by setting XFB to Virtual.
(11-18-2017, 08:04 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, right, the bootup of this game doesn't like vsync if you're using Dolphin's default settings. You can get around that by setting XFB to Virtual.

Ding ding ding this worked!

Speed at 100%, audio stretching disabled, emulated cpu clock at 100% and no more issue!

TYVM!

Big Grin