Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which one is better for dolphin /pc games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone,
I have two choices for pc builds that cost the same right now.
I can go with

A i7 7700k @4.5 ghz
A 1060 6gb nvidia gpu
16gb ram ddr4
A 128 ssd  and a 1tb  hdd 7200rpm

Or

A i7 7700 @3.6 ghz
A 1070 8gb nvidia gpu
32gb ram ddr4
256gb ssd and 1tb hdd 7200rpm

Is the 7700k worth the overclock or can I run most games on a 7700 at full speed. Like star wars rouge squadron and the last story, and xenoblade? I think the second choice is better right, especially for pc games like Bethesda games?
the second system is better for PC games, the first is better for emulation.

Both will run Dolphin at full speed regardless of reasonable settings.
Thanks Helios, I think I'm going with the second choice. I don't think I'll be pushing dolphin past 1080p with hybrid ubershaders. I've never built/bought a desktop before, I've only been buying laptops, I'm sure anything is an improvement to a 960m and a 4th gen i7 @2.6 ghz, which can still run most games at 1080p.
What's your budget? Cause you can build a PC for cheaper and get the best of both builds.
I'm looking to spend no more than 1.2 k, I actually was able to upgrade pretty much everything else after I got rid of the 7700k and the lights. Another question, how up to date is the hw part of the faq? The 7700 isn't too bad though, it turbos @4ghz on all 4 cores, and 4.2 on a single core.
Well, if you're happy with it, then the i7-7700 will be fine for Dolphin and regular PC gaming. It's still a top of the line 7th generation i7. While you'll be missing out on the great stock clock speeds of the i7-7700K, you'll still have a very good time. You may want to investigate increasing your SSD allocation, a 128GB drive fills up fast on PC gaming.

Lol, the HW section of the FAQ hasn't been updated in a few years.
(11-12-2017, 10:17 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if you're happy with it, then the i7-7700 will be fine for Dolphin and regular PC gaming. It's still a top of the line 7th generation i7. While you'll be missing out on the great stock clock speeds of the i7-7700K, you'll still have a very good time. You may want to investigate increasing your SSD allocation, a 128GB drive fills up fast on PC gaming.

Lol, the HW section of the FAQ hasn't been updated in a few years.

The choice I'm going for has a 256 gb ssd instead of the 128, another reason why I like it. Thanks for your help, maybe I'll upgrade to the k eventually. 
What resolution do you think i can run dolphin on max without fps drops on a 7700 vs a 7700k?
Can't say, don't have them. Somebody else with those CPUs will probably have to chime in. Or you can check the Dolphin CPU list, which I don't remember where it is, but it's somewhere on this forum. That'll show you the relative performance in Dolphin between the two.

As long as both of them meet the minimum requirements for the game, there won't be frame drops due to the CPU at any resolution (theoretically, it gets confusing once you factor in really high resolutions and the CPU-GPU transfers when using certain things). Higher resolutions will lose frames if your GPU can no longer handle the workload. A 1060 and 1070 should both be able to hit 4K Internal Resolutions, and the extra post-processing comes down to the card, where the 1070 will be able to have more enhancements before slowing down.
(11-12-2017, 10:52 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Can't say, don't have them. Somebody else with those CPUs will probably have to chime in. Or you can check the Dolphin CPU list, which I don't remember where it is, but it's somewhere on this forum. That'll show you the relative performance in Dolphin between the two.

As long as both of them meet the minimum requirements for the game, there won't be frame drops due to the CPU at any resolution (theoretically, it gets confusing once you factor in really high resolutions and the CPU-GPU transfers when using certain things). Higher resolutions will lose frames if your GPU can no longer handle the workload. A 1060 and 1070 should both be able to hit 4K Internal Resolutions, and the extra post-processing comes down to the card, where the 1070 will be able to have more enhancements before slowing down.
Ok thanks, I found the benchmarks. I dont think I'll be able to play rouge squadron at full speed but everything else will be fine, better than my laptop definitely.
Just remember, those benchmarks are kinda old at this point. I think rogue squadron is full speed now with the latest dev builds. Somebody else will need to verify that though....
Pages: 1 2