Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What cpu/gpu do you guys recommend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,
I am planning on getting myself a new pc. I currently have a Lenovo y70 gaming laptop, and am going to go the desktop now . I am not building my own pc, so I am looking for a common on the shelf combination.

I am planning on spending about 1k on a new pc and was wondering what cpu/gpu combo you guys recommend. I am looking into a Intel cpu preferably i7, and an nvidia gpu that is fast enough to run fallout 4/skyrim special edition (I am not futureproofing and only play Bethesda games and dolphin).
The most intense games I have right now are rouge squadron 2 and 3 and the last story. I am looking to run most (all?) games at 1080p60, and don't ever plan on getting a 4k monitor. I will be most likely using hybrid ubershaders and texture packs as well. Also, is 16gb of ram enough?
Last question, if I get a touch monitor, will it work with any windows 10 pc?

Thanks for your help guys sorry for the long post but I have no idea about hardware.
The GPU you will need to run Fallout\TES games (with mods) at higher resolutions is more then you will generally need to run Dolphin at higher resolutions.

As far as CPUs go none of the Native PC games mentioned or Dolphin will se any advantage with a i7 over an i5 (except maybe a slight bump if the i7 has a higher base/turbo clock), as long as you are also not looking to stream or record. If you want the absolute best emulation experience (non streaming/recording) then an overclockable modern i5 (skylake, kaby lake, [coffee lake? too new to say for certain]) would give you the most firepower to throw at the edge case games where CPU brute force is necessary to get decent perfomance. But for the vast majority of games even this (while cheeper then an i7) is still overkill and a waste of money since a kaby lake pentium can handle most Dolphin games at 1080p.

As far as touch monitors go.... as long as it is windows 10 compatible then yes it should work with any windows 10 PC. If it is only Mac or Linux compatible then no it will probably not. Most touch monitors use a usb connection back to the PC to function as just annother human interface device.
Also, what brand do you guys recommend, Acer, Lenovo, or alienware? Mostly, which brand seems to last the longest without breaking. Because my Lenovo laptop isn't really that great, and I'm thinking of steering away from that brand.
Do you need the it to be a literal off the shelf (walk into a store buy it and walk out)?

Are you doing this because you believe brand names have better quality (hint they do not, generally)?

If both are no and you don't mind doing shopping online then I would recomemd a boutique builder. You get more part choices and flexability then on big brand websites (alienware included), a better price to performance (not as good as build your own), and warenty/not having to build it yourself like shopping on a brand site. Plus other benefits like better motherboards and power supplies (not the junk thrown in prebuilts).

Also ever since Lenovo put in a backdoor for their own adware I recomend everyone stay away from them.
(10-30-2017, 01:38 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Do you need the it to be a literal off the shelf (walk into a store buy it and walk out)?

Are you doing this because you believe brand names have better quality (hint they do not, generally)?

If both are no and you don't mind doing shopping online then I would recomemd a boutique builder.  You get more part choices and flexability then on big brand websites (alienware included), a better price to performance (not as good as build your own), and warenty/not having to build it yourself like shopping on a brand site.  Plus other benefits like better motherboards and power supplies (not the junk thrown in prebuilts).  

Also ever since Lenovo put in a backdoor for their own adware I recomend everyone stay away from them.

Thanks TKSilver, I am not opposed to buying a computer online, in fact that's what I had in mind after doing some more research after my first post. Do you think a 6700k clocked at 4ghz and an nvidia 1060 6gb would be good enough for Dolphin and Bethesda games?
I'm using an i5 7600 and a 1050 Ti.

When playing Dolphin, my CPU boosts to 3.9 GHz on all cores. I have yet to find a game it can't handle, and I've played Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story on it with no issues. A 6700K should perform just as well.

The 1050 Ti easily handles 3x Internal Resolution with 8x MSAA. However, it struggles with 2x SSAA or higher. A GTX 1060 should be enough for any Dolphin game at the highest visual quality.
(10-30-2017, 10:28 PM)MonadoBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks TKSilver, I am not opposed to buying a computer online, in fact that's what I had in mind after doing some more research after my first post. Do you think a 6700k clocked at 4ghz and an nvidia 1060 6gb would be good enough for Dolphin and Bethesda games?

The CPU is fine and the GPU should be fine as long as you don't max all the settings (especially shadow distance) and you will have to mess with a few settings. This is more that Bethesda games are not really ever well optomized and not that the 1060 is not a powerful card. The extra VRAM will definitely help on those games though allowing for better texture quality.