Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Could a scratch or smear on the disc create a faulty iso?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just what it says. I have dumped my game and it works beautifully except for one crash, which nobody else has encountered at that particular part. I looked at the disc and saw no scratches but a few small smears.

I see a thread here about dumping DSP-LLE dumps, and another about NAND. Which...I have never heard either before, so an explanation would be nice.

Should I try doing a DSP-LLE?
If the disc was scratched or smeared when you ripped it, the iso could have problems. Compare the hash of your ISO to other rips online.
What is the game and where does it crash? A NAND dump should be unneeded and the LLE dumps that come with should be good enough for most games.
If you're on Android, the chances are it's just something to do with Android GFX Drivers or Dolphin on android.
(10-30-2017, 10:52 AM)RagingFire Wrote: [ -> ]If the disc was scratched or smeared when you ripped it, the iso could have problems. Compare the hash of your ISO to other rips online.
Will do! I remember a site for that but forgot where it is, exactly. Do you have a link?

(10-30-2017, 10:57 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]What is the game and where does it crash? A NAND dump should be unneeded and the LLE dumps that come with should be good enough for most games.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, right after the River Belle Path boss, very first dungeon trek, during the myrrh collecting scene.

(10-30-2017, 11:31 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]If you're on Android, the chances are it's just something to do with Android GFX Drivers or Dolphin on android.
Might be, yeah...but until I get a better laptop I'm stuck with Android. I do plan on investing in one ASAP.
(10-31-2017, 12:30 AM)Dragoncat Wrote: [ -> ]Will do! I remember a site for that but forgot where it is, exactly. Do you have a link?

redump.org and gametdb.com.
(10-31-2017, 12:48 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]redump.org and gametdb.com.

I actually just remembered redump. But I'll keep gametdb in mind as well.
(10-31-2017, 03:41 AM)Dragoncat Wrote: [ -> ]I actually just remembered redump. But I'll keep gametdb in mind as well.

Redump is all you need for GameCube games, really. The problem is that it doesn't show Wii games (at least not publicly?), so I usually check GameTDB for those, but their coverage is more spotty since it (unlike Redump) doesn't have dump verification as its primary purpose.
As a quicker check against issues caused by scratches and smears, you can always just google the md5 hash, as no one's likely to have the exact same scratches and smears as you, so if it shows up, those issues shouldn't be present in the dump. This doesn't guarantee that the dump is good, though, as if the issue is due to something like buggy dumping software, the same issue will show up in other people's dumps, and they might have posted their hashes somewhere.