Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Disable version lockout for Netplay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How would I do this? If I can't, why not?

Also, why is it there at all?
You can't because it would likely cause desyncing due to differences.
Because users were trying to do netplay across thousands of versions of Dolphin and then wondering why there were desyncs.
Two questions:
How does differing versions cause desyncs? Doesn't that have to do with Internet speed?
How do I back up my current version of Dolphin on Linux so I can install another one, without having to recompile when I switch back?
Netplay must be deterministic in almost every aspect order to not desync.

Any changes to the code can potentially cause changes in emulation, which will cause desync or other messy problems.

We will not give a mechanism to disable the version lockout.
(11-12-2017, 06:42 AM)Yoshimaster96 Wrote: [ -> ]How does differing versions cause desyncs?

When we make changes to Dolphin (for instance, if we fixed an emulation bug), what happens during the gameplay will be different depending on if your version of Dolphin includes that change or not. Netplay just sends controller inputs over the internet, so if one player's emulator reacts differently than the other player's emulator to the same button input, no matter how slightly, you'll desync.

(11-12-2017, 06:42 AM)Yoshimaster96 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't that have to do with Internet speed?

No, your internet speed does not make you desync.