Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Clarifying the dangers of on-disc updates and Homebrew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

pandubz

So I've read up on Homebrew and how you're not supposed to update, manually or by on-disc updates. Considering the Wii's age I think it is safe to say it is EoL in terms of software updates. And my Wii is up to date anyways. I guess my concern is, after homebrewing, if one of my discs contains an update, is that update going to get set off because my Wii is now "off the rails"? Or is that game going to play as if nothing ever happened?

I ask because while I want to dump my games to use with Dolphin, the Wii is still used by everyone else in my household. And I'd rather not have to answer to why the Wii is suddenly a paperweight and the VC titles we bought are now lost in the dark corners of time.
(10-26-2017, 12:57 PM)pandubz Wrote: [ -> ]I guess my concern is, after homebrewing, if one of my discs contains an update, is that update going to get set off because my Wii is now "off the rails"?

No, it's only going to set off if Nintendo actually has released new updates since the last time you updated your Wii (or if you used homebrew to manually delete updates in some way, but there's not really any reason to do that). So you should be fine.
To expand on what JosJuice said, a disc update is only required:
- if your console lacks a system title, or the installed version is older than the disc version
- the first time an optional title (usually channel placeholders) is seen

So as your console is fully up-to-date and has everything installed, it's very unlikely you'll even see an update prompt.

pandubz

Neato, so nothing will catch fire if I do my homework right. Thanks for the replies!
Nothing has caught fire and I've done all the bad things you can possibly do to a Wii.
Can't catch fire if your Wii is a brick

*taps head*

On a more serious note, it's actually pretty hard to brick a Wii if you have BootMii installed (as boot2).
I've destroyed a Wii, but, that wasn't related to this.

pandubz

(10-27-2017, 04:08 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I've destroyed a Wii, but, that wasn't related to this.

thinking emoji