Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unable to play any Wii games and unable to save GC games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Milarion

So as the subject says, no matter what version I use or where I install it, there's always an error when trying to play any Wii games, failed to write BT.DINF to SYSCONF. So I looked that up but the file Dolphin.ini doesn't show up, so I can't delete that. Then I tried starting a GC game, it runs normally but can't save, even though the folder is the valid save spot. Can anyone help here?
It seems like the directory that Dolphin tries to save its config and other data to doesn't have the right permissions, so Dolphin is unable to write anything. Assuming you haven't manually changed which directory Dolphin saves to, check that the Dolphin Emulator directory in Documents isn't marked read-only.

Milarion

(10-26-2017, 04:52 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like the directory that Dolphin tries to save its config and other data to doesn't have the right permissions, so Dolphin is unable to write anything. Assuming you haven't manually changed which directory Dolphin saves to, check that the Dolphin Emulator directory in Documents isn't marked read-only.

I made sure it's not read-only, still nothing
Try the latest development build and put a blank "portable.txt" file next to Dolphin.exe
(10-26-2017, 09:38 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest development build and put a blank "portable.txt" file next to Dolphin.exe

To expand upon this: Doing that will change where Dolphin stores its data, so if you have any existing data, you'll have to manually move it over if you want Dolphin to see it.

Milarion

(10-26-2017, 09:38 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest development build and put a blank "portable.txt" file next to Dolphin.exe

Worked, thanks! ^^

stoRiker14

(11-14-2017, 07:56 AM)Milarion Wrote: [ -> ]Worked, thanks! ^^

How did you make the portable file? I tried doing it but it doesnt do anything. It just makes the file with nothing in it.Can you please help me?
Yup, a blank file is what you want. Make sure your computer isn't making it "portable.txt.txt"

You can verify this by checking your Folder options in Windows. In the top Ribbon area of a File Explorer window, go to View, and then click on Options. Then make sure this box is unchecked (see below)

[Image: u8FPqqI.jpg?1]