Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii discs force GDR8164B DVD drive to unmount --Friidump troubleshooting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Zlycher

Hi all! Hoping someone can point out my error ripping from a PC dvd drive. I have a drive that rawdump/friidump support. I know the drive is working and can play DVDs. However whenever I place a wii disc into the drive the drive will spin up for a few seconds and then my entire DVD drive unmounts from my PC. At this point I have to reboot my PC to see the DVD drive again.

Running friidump with NO disc in the drive confirms that I am using a supported model. I'm at a loss for why a Wii disc is totally forcing my drive to disappear. Oh, I should add that when a Wii disc is inserted, my cursor briefly changes to a cursor/dvd icon. This led me to disable autoplay, but that didn't solve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

P.S. I own a wii and am aware that I can dump from the console. I'm specifically working with rawdump/friidump as a pet project.

Zlycher

Thought I would update with my troubleshooting attempts last night. I booted to Ubuntu on a flash drive because I suspected that Windows 10 might be the issue. Sadly no dice. Inserting a Wii game into the drive basically locks the drive on a hardware level....I can't even eject the disc by pushing the button on the drive. So it looks like it's not an operating system issue. I have a couple of theories:

1. Drive firmware issue.
2. IDE/Sata adapter can't handle something about the disc.
3. My BIOS needs to be updated on my motherboard.

I'm not itching to investigate any of those options today, but I may do some more research tomorrow.
I highly doubt that a UEFI update would improve the situation any. You're talking about trying to dump a Wii game by exploiting a bug in the firmware of your DVD drive. If you're using an IDE drive, I would suggest trying an older OS, like Windows 7 or XP if possible. IDE support for your drive may be broken on Windows 10/Ubuntu, since nobody really expects you to be using IDE anymore.
What drive is it exactly?