Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Computer - Dolphin Runs Slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

yeesone

Hidey Ho.  I'm trying to play Project M netplay on a new computer:

Windows 10 x64
i3-7350k Kaby Lake
MSI B250M Pro-VD
8G RAM
Radeon R7 350

Dolphin 5.0-123

It's not running too well.  My CPU load never goes above 12%, and my GPU load never goes above 49%.  I can't see that anything is causing a bottleneck.  I am getting 60 fps most of the time (sometimes fps drops low), but the game speed lags quite a bit.  I've tried different combinations of settings on dolphin, but nothing really had much impact.  Power and GPU settings to high performance.  All updated drivers.  Brawl lags the same way.  It seems like my computer should be able to run it no problem.  What else can I try?

Thx.
Could be shader compilation

Download the latest development build

Graphics > Enhancements > Ubershaders > hybrid

yeesone

I tried dolphin 5.0-5707, and it has the same results. I also installed Ubuntu and tried dolphin on that - no luck.

The game seems to be slowing down on processor tasks - like when new screens are loading, or when a character gets hit and the game has to compute some physics. My processor should be plenty fast, though. Are there any known issues with the I3 Kaby Lake or MSI motherboards?
Did you check your temperatures when playing? You could be thermal throttling if your CPU fan isn't sitting properly.

Also, if you can post your Dolphin settings we can probably check them for issues.
That really sounds like shader generation. Try lowering the game to 1x IR, turn on D3D, and put exclusive ubershaders on. That's going to be the fastest, most consistent framerate for ubershaders with the current driver landscape. If that fixes it, then you start changing things until it stops working.

yeesone

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I seem to have found my main problem. Under Game Specific Settings for Brawl, the Memory Management Unit, FPRF, and Sync GPU Thread were enabled. MMU in particular was slowing things down.

The game's running pretty well now. It does seem to run most smooth with ubershaders turned on. The CPU is running nice and cool Cool - about 50C.

I'm using these settings
Resolution - Native
Anti-Aliasing 4x MSAA
Antisotropic Filtering x 1
Ubershaders Exclusive
V-Sync On
Direct 3D 11

I think my GPU would be the bottleneck for going to a higher resolution - the game runs slow when i turn it to 2x native, and the GPU load is around 60% or so.

Anyway, it works. Now I can play some smash!
(11-04-2017, 02:24 PM)yeesone Wrote: [ -> ]Ubershaders Exclusive

I think my GPU would be the bottleneck for going to a higher resolution - the game runs slow when i turn it to 2x native, and the GPU load is around 60% or so.

Kind of late on this, but if you set "Ubershaders" to "hybrid" then you should be able to turn up the resolution farther.

Just note that using "hybrid" may or may not worsen the performance, so you'll have to just test it out yourself.