Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Discord GameBridge, Feasible or not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now I'm not entirely sure if this has been mentioned before, a few searches revealed nothing, so here goes. I'm curious, how feasible would basic integration with Discord's GameBridge be?

Now Discord itself already has basic abilities to pick up games currently being played, and picks up Dolphin just fine.
[Image: 0def3Ok.png]

But due to the nature of emulators as a whole, it obviously can't detect what game your playing and the like without significant effort or very hacky code, but this kinda thing may be possible from Dolphin's side via GameBridge. Something as (seemingly) basic as the ability to see what title is currently being played.

Of course, for now it's a closed beta, and not finished, and I'm don't want to appear as if demanding that someone does this or something, I'm just curious if this may be possible down the road.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I haven't been able to read the documentation for it since it isn't publicly available yet, but my guess is that integrating with it is technologically feasible but that their terms don't fit FOSS well... I'll keep an eye out for if the documentation gets publicly released in the future.
The documentation for their RPC protocol is open which GameBridge utilizes under the hood: https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/topics/rpc

This only works if a user has Discord preinstalled but for simply doing stuff like displaying the current game name that shouldn't be an issue. However it is only in beta at the moment so you have to sign up and get your app approved if you want to make it public.
(10-12-2017, 09:15 AM)Toad King Wrote: [ -> ]The documentation for their RPC protocol is open which GameBridge utilizes under the hood: https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/topics/rpc

This only works if a user has Discord preinstalled but for simply doing stuff like displaying the current game name that shouldn't be an issue. However it is only in beta at the moment so you have to sign up and get your app approved if you want to make it public.

Thanks. Yeah, this looks like what I guessed – their terms make no sense for FOSS, so we aren't able to use it legally. (Unless we do something ridiculous like expecting every user to sign up as a Discord developer, maybe, but I don't know if Discord even would allow that...)

Also, I can't seem to find any command for changing the "current game" in that documentation.