Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel Coffee Lake 8th gen Core CPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well they messed up saying the results are in minutes when it is pretty obvious that those CPUs are not taking 5 hours or so for the benchmark when the Wii takes 17-18 mins. Aside from that those numbers look to be right about where I thought they would be.
Well the picture correctly says seconds so meh
So the result is "Running dolphin? Don't bother with coffee lake"?
Looks like the i5 is 30 seconds faster, but the i7 is 20 seconds slower?
I don't like how they called it a render test. It doesn't stress the renderer/GPU at all by design.

It's a CPU test.
If your entire workload is "running Dolphin" then yes don't bother with Coffee Lake (at least not at the high end i7 level). If you also do other things then there are other workloads where Coffee Lake is vastly superior to even Kaby Lake and unlike Ryzen still has roughly Kaby Lake's/Sky Lake's performance in emulation and heavier single threaded workloads.

The CPU that peaked my interest though was the i5 8400, I am curious to see if what it showed holds true for the i5 8600k since it held it's ground well in a lot of tests compared to the i7 7700k with a 2 thread deficit and 2 core advantage (6-6 / 4-8) it was interesting to see that some applications favor threads and some favor cores and for a general gaming PC it might be the better buy this generation.
I am personally going to get an 8700k, for the combination of super high IPC and more cores for Dolphin and games performance and performance in occasional rendering and things (we do a bit of everything). It's a great chip!
Anybody have any other benchmarks for the i5-8400? I'm looking to build a secondary gaming PC and it sounds fantastic but I'm wondering how it works with Dolphin?

The Anandtech benchmark is good to see how it compares to other chips, but I'm wondering about framerate, etc, at 1080p internal resolution and other performance?
Since it has better performance then lots of other CPUs that are known to work perfectly fine at 1080p for Dolphin You don't really have much to worry about with single core performance over 10% better then the Pentium G4520 which is a recommended inexpensive Dolphin build for 1080p.

To be honest you should wait anyways if you are looking to get a 8400 then you should wait until the h370 or b360 motherboards are out since the overclocking capabilities of the z370 boards are just extra cost on a non overclocking chip. By that time you should get all of the benchmarks and other information you could want.
Pages: 1 2 3 4