Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Shop to Finally Close Down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, we all saw this coming. The end of the era is upon us.

Starting March 26th, 2018, people will not be able to add new Wii Shop Points to their accounts. The Wii Shop Channel itself will go into the next phase January 31, 2019.

So the shop will still exist, however it will only exist to redownload software that has already been purchased. This is how the DSi Shop currently is.

Wii to Wii U system transfers will also work after this time period. Like with the DSi Shop, Nintendo currently has not stated when the ability to redownload games and do system transfers will end, but they have stated that it will happen sometime later in 2019 (who knows, possibly the same time the DSi Shop goes down.)

Pack it up, everyone, let's all head out to the Decaf emulator before it is too late. But seriously, we should catalog what games various Dolphin developers have to make sure that nothing in the Wii Shop Channel is being left behind. We should also document which games have their own online services independent of Nintendo's framework, because several of those will be around for a long time after, most likely.

It should also be noted that they are taking the Wii U lifecycle even faster. They are killing off Miiverse while the console is still technically supported by Nintendo. And Miiverse is going away BEFORE the Wii Shop Channel does. It just surprises me that there is STILL a game coming out for the Wii; Just Dance 2018 will be out October 24th for the Wii along with everything else.
Can someone make a Homebrew Wii Shop? The Wii shop is super simple, we should be able to do a proxy redirect and keep the experience alive.
(09-30-2017, 03:27 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone make a Homebrew Wii Shop?  The Wii shop is super simple, we should be able to do a proxy redirect and keep the experience alive.

I'm not sure exactly what features it would have. Doesn't the Homebrew Channel already serve this purpose?

I feel like there would probably be some legal restrictions around providing similar features, i.e. storing people's games to be downloaded later. Plus we wouldn't be able to use the one and only Wii Shop Channel music, would we?
The Archiveteam has a page on it. If someone can help them get wpull working on the Wii Shop URLs they can archive the online frontend. As for archiving software, if Dolphin could export tickets in a format that NUS can use, users could archive all the available versions of software they own to submit that information to No-Intro. Someone's probably going to end up having to drop a significant chunk of change buying up tons of Wii Shop content so no title IDs get left behind, though.
I think that it is also probable that the NUS will shut down along with the Wii Shop (and speculatively the DSi Shop), so that is something else to keep in mind for the future of the Dolphin project. Leolam's work on getting system and disc updates working is probably all that is needed, though, right?