Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is the current 'best' build?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering what happens to be the 'best' development build as of lately for dolphin, speed wise, considering I downloaded mine a year ago.

I checked a couple at the top of the latest development build list and they run a bit worse than my current. It's such a big list to go through, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions.
I'm looking for something to run some of those pesky games better, like shadow the hedgehog (big lag during explosions and the lava level), sonic gems collection (fighters is awful) and the audio lag in other games and such. Or is this just my PC, as some say that they run those ones just fine and at crazy high resolutions and graphics settings?

my specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 x64
Processor/CPU: AMD FX 6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50GHz
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Memory/RAM: 8GB

and the dolphin version im currently using: 5.0-1049 x64

This one has had such great improvements in the playability of some of these games for me making them go from unplayable, to playable! At least for the most part of each game. I'm running everything at like, the lowest settings possible and always checking the game wikis for custom settings specific to each game to fix issues. Does anyone have any suggestions if it is my computer, or if there is another new incredibly optimized build that doesn't drop frames as often?
Latest.

Set the graphics backend to Direct3D 11 or Vulkan to get more out of your AMD GPU.

EDIT: Wait, you're running Windows 7. Uh, D3D11 isn't recommended for Win7 anymore because MS implemented a D3D11 feature we need for accuracy that they only implemented in 8.1 and 10 for some stupid reason.

Make sure you're not setting exclusive ubershader or any silly SSAA setting.

Beyond that, you have a very slow CPU that was a really bad single threaded performer on release. You can try overclocking it but beyond that there isn't much you can do.
You could try 5.0-5400 as that's the last build before Direct3D was broken on Windows 7. Be sure to set the ubershaders setting to hybrid and that will immensely help with games that stutter a lot like Metroid Prime and Xenoblade. I have an AMD FX 6300 as well and I can confirm that Sonic Fighters runs better on 5400 than on 1049, however the framerate still drops to 30 at the intro. I can't confirm anything on Shadow the Hedgehog because I don't have that game.
D3D was not broken on Windows 7, Dolphin is just now using features that require some updates. All you need to do is run windows update to get the updates that Dolphin needs.
I believe there was a fairly recent change that even the latest updates don't resolve. Ask Stenzek about it, MayImilae.
EDIT: D3D works fine on the latest dev build on an up to date Windows 7 PC.

[Image: 6NfZ0el.jpg]
Does WW use dual source blending?
(09-26-2017, 04:08 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: D3D works fine on the latest dev build on an up to date Windows 7 PC.

https://i.imgur.com/6NfZ0el.jpg

The D3D11 backend only has problems in certain games on Windows 7, but on the games where it has problems, the problems are very noticeable. Try Mario Kart Wii or Star Fox Adventures, for instance.
Aaaaanyway, I'm pretty sure by "Direct3D was broken on Windows 7" they were referring to the recent changes that require windows updates beyond SP1, as to someone on vanilla Windows 7 SP1 D3D would appear well and truly broken, as it renders absolutely nothing in that case. Little bugs and things not working here and there, like the lack of LogicOps and Dual Source Blending, are unlikely to be something a user would call the entire backend broken over. And I wanted to show that it is, in fact, not broken.
I stand corrected, it's logic ops that are the issue, not DSB
Pages: 1 2