Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pentium G3220
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, i'm going to change my old tablet for a Computer with a Pentium G3220 on it. The only downside is that the OS is 32-bits, and i don't know how to upgrade it to 64 bits either. And if i knew how to do it, then i'd have to make sure it supports a certain Open GL feature, and i've been told that without it, upgrading to 64-bits would be pointless.

For now, i want to know if i'd see any notable performance from my actual Pentium E2200 to the G3220 one. And yes, i want to know if it could handle games well with Dolphin 4.0.2  
The GPU in it supports GL fine. Upgrade your OS to 64 bit. You can get Windows 10 legally for free from Microsoft's website. Just google "Windows 10 ISO Microsoft". Alternatively, you can use Linux. Ubuntu is free and reasonably simple to install.

I have the G3258 in my HTPC and while I was able to overclock it just fine to remove any CPU bottleneck, the GPU still restricts me to only handling 1x internal resolution in many games.

You won't be able to overclock, so some games might lag even at 1x internal resolution, but it should be ok for the most part. Haswell is a solid process.

I can't tell you how well super old trash like 4.0.2 will run, because we don't support that anymore. Use 5.0 at minimum. A recent development build preferably.
Well, if you say that it supports OGL, then might as well upgrade my OS. I wasn't too fond of the idea of using version 4.0.2 either, i just asked because that's the last stable 32-bits version of dolphin, if i'm not mistaken. But again, if it's safe to upgrade it then i'll do that. Thanks, Helios.
If you run Windows, the Intel GPU in that will probably be a bit faster on our Direct3D 11 backend. However, we've "officially" dropped support on D3D for Windows 7 due to a D3D11 feature we need only being implemented in 8.1 and up. It'll still work on Win7, just some games will be bugged.

OpenGL will work regardless, just probably slower for your particular GPU.
Then i may consider buying a dedicated GPU for it to have no problems then? If so, which one should i buy? I'm okay playing at 720p.
an RX 550 will play dolphin at 1080p without issue, doesn't require extra PCI-E power cables, and is under 100 USD.

It also handles some PC games at modest to low settings if you're into that.

If you're looking at JUST a dolphin machine, then the RX 550 is pretty sweet.
Nah, i'm not into graphically intense games, in fact, the only 3D PC game i've played that looks "realistic" (in comparison to other games i've played) is GTA San Andreas, and that was years ago. I just happen to be lucky with that new computer i'm going to get, because i've been stuck with this one for... 7 years, probably.

Oh, and by the way, what about a GTX 1050? I just did some research and it costs basically the same as that one you mentioned. (It costs the same here in Venezuela, at least. I don't live in the US)
(09-22-2017, 08:39 AM)Ultimatesaber27 Wrote: [ -> ]Nah, i'm not into graphically intense games, in fact, the only 3D PC game i've played that looks "realistic" (in comparison to other games i've  played) is GTA San Andreas, and that was years ago. I just happen to be lucky with that new computer i'm going to get, because i've been stuck with this one for... 7 years, probably.

Oh, and by the way, what about a GTX 1050? I just did some research and it costs basically the same as that one you mentioned. (It costs the same here in Venezuela, at least. I don't live in the US)

A 1050 should be a fair bit faster than a rx 550 - the rx 560 is the AMD equivalent to that. If they're they same price it's a clear winner.
(09-22-2017, 09:23 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]A 1050 should be a fair bit faster than a rx 550 - the rx 560 is the AMD equivalent to that. If they're they same price it's a clear winner.
Then so be it. Hopefully it can run dolphin and pcsx2 decently with that setup (though i'm used to play at 1/3 speed, this should really make a big difference for me)
(09-22-2017, 10:02 AM)Ultimatesaber27 Wrote: [ -> ]Then so be it. Hopefully it can run dolphin and pcsx2 decently with that setup (though i'm used to play at 1/3 speed, this should really make a big difference for me)

G3220 is enough to run the less demanding PCSX2 games ok, but the more demanding titles will not run full speed with that CPU

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
1,600 - is the recommended minimum 
2,000 - is recommended for demanding titles

The G3220 is 1,745 the G3258 (at 3.2GHz) is 2,147

Any of the GPUs mentioned should perform fine in PCSX2, but also keep in mind that PCSX2 is much more CPU dependent when you upscale it.
Pages: 1 2