Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Forced vsync and no exclusive full-screen with Vulkan backend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mark_k

Dolphin 5.0-5551 on Windows 10 x64 1703 with AMD FirePro W5100 graphics card.

With the DirectX 11 backend and Dolphin vsync option not enabled, I see tearing in both fullscreen and borderless fullscreen modes. That's fine.

However with the Vulkan backend there are a couple of problems:

- Fullscreen mode isn't actually exclusive fullscreen. It seems similar to borderless fullscreen with the DX11 backend, in that (for example) Windows' volume OSD overlays the image when I adjust system volume. (In DX11 fullscreen mode it doesn't appear.)
- There is a forced vsync, since no tearing is visible.

I looked at the Dolphin source and it seems to be doing the right thing. If vsync is not enabled it sets present mode to VK_PRESENT_MODE_IMMEDIATE_KHR which should allow tearing. If that's not supported by the driver it uses VK_PRESENT_MODE_MAILBOX_KHR or failing that whatever is available.

Is this a graphics driver limitation? Does the AMD driver support VK_PRESENT_MODE_IMMEDIATE_KHR? And should Dolphin be doing something differently to achieve exclusive fullscreen mode with the Vulkan backend?
Vulkan doesn't have exclusive fullscreen because drivers haven't implemented it. I think nvidia has their own extension for it, but Intel and AMD do not