Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How do I back up Gamecube games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a gamecube, a PC, dolphin, and not much else. How would use any combination of these to backup gamecube discs I have laying around. I have seen a few mention the need for the GC LAN adapter but I can't find one for under about a hundred bucks. Is there software for PC somewhere that I could use to rip the discs? Thanks.
There's an article on the Dolphin wiki that might help:  https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...ping_Games

If you have a Wii, you can install the Homebrew Channel and CleanRip to back up GameCube games.  

If not, try using Rawdump or Friidump to rip using your PC's DVD drive.
You need a very specific DVD drive to rip from a PC.

If you don't have a Wii, they're really cheap on Ebay, plus you can dump the NAND and your GC memory cards to use with Dolphin.
AFAIK CleanRip also have a GameCube version, but I'm not sure to where exactly it would dump the ISO, nor what is required to get homebrew running on GC...
So I can insert a gamecube game into my Wii, and use homebrew like I do for wii backups, and that's ok? Sorry, I've never heard of putting gamecube games in a Wii, and the disks are different.
(08-31-2017, 10:37 PM)jachin99 Wrote: [ -> ]So I can insert a gamecube game into my Wii, and use homebrew like I do for wii backups, and that's ok?  Sorry, I've never heard of putting gamecube games in a Wii, and the disks are different.

Yes, unless you have a newer wii that doesn't support GC games.
Pretty sure that's only the Wii mini
(08-31-2017, 11:55 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure that's only the Wii mini

No, there is also a full-size model that doesn't support GameCube games and controllers.
EDIT - ninja'd

Actually, later model Wii did remove GC compatibility, the so-called RVL-101s. So a Wii made after October 2011 has no controller/memory card ports for GC stuff. No idea if they removed actual GC related hardware components, or just disabled them with some bits of hardware or software. No idea if the disc drive in those can even handle GC discs; if they can, I'd assume homebrew software could still dump them? I honestly have no clue though.
I was unaware of the RVL-101's existence. If I had money I'd get one and try it out Tongue