Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New laptop, what can I run?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Nur

Hello, I have bought a new HP laptop, and was wondering how it would work with Dolphin.

Its specs are:

Intel i7 6700HQ 2.6 Ghz (3.5 GHz with turbo boost)
16 GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB

I was planning to use it to play Sonic Colors and Sonic and the Black Knight. I think (and hope lol) these two wouldn't cause much problems but it would be better to hear about other people's opinions. Also I was wondering how much I can push it, for example which game would be too much to run, or what kind of games could I play with it?

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to run most games, well. I would probably not push the internal resolution past 1080p (some you probably could go a little higher and on some of the more demanding titles maybe a little less).

Some things to do though
1. Turn windows power plan to performance not power saving (this is one of the most common performance issues people on laptops end up having)
2. In Nvidia's control panel you can use adaptive or max performance but not optimal (optimal will kill your performance in most emulators since the GPU never clocks up past idle speeds). Also if your laptop uses Optimus turn that off too since it will switch to the integrated GPU if you don't.
3. Make sure HP does not have any power saving software that will mess with your performance, if it has it just get rid of it or disable it.