Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD A12 9800 performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

borsten

Has anyone tested the performance of this CPU with integrated graphics? It looks like it can handle many modern AAA titles at decent details and FPS. I know APU's performance depends quite a lot on RAM speeds but I would buy some decent speedy RAMs. I'm about to build a new HTPC and I am mostly interested in building a HTPC without dGPU for heat and noise reasons.
(08-28-2017, 10:47 PM)borsten Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tested the performance of this CPU with integrated graphics? It looks like it can handle many modern AAA titles at decent details and FPS. I know APU's performance depends quite a lot on RAM speeds but I would buy some decent speedy RAMs. I'm about to build a new HTPC and I am mostly interested in building a HTPC without dGPU for heat and noise reasons.

I'd worry more about the CPU side of it than the GPU. AMD APU's tend to have pretty good gpu's, but Dolphin relies mostly on CPU speed, and it isn't much faster than my 860K in terms of clock speed and its IPC isn't great anyway.
If you want an AMD HTPC, I'd suggest waiting for Ryzen APU's to come out, as they'll handle Dolphin much better than that A12 with their better IPC.
Not to say it wouldn't work, but you'd probably struggle with the more demanding games in Dolphin.
the A12 is Ryzen.
The A12 9800 is a "Bristol Ridge" processor ie an excavator chip. It does use the AM4 platform but iy is not Zen. AMD has not announced Zen for budget/mainstream desktops or any laptops....yet.

You can get a Kaby Lake pentium which is a lower watt chip (lower heat) and it will have better gaming and emulation performance.... you might want to pair it with a low power gpu if you want to do a lot of Native PC gaming or a lot of enhancements in your emulators though)
(08-29-2017, 12:23 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]the A12 is Ryzen.

Pretty sure it's a 28nm cpu shoved on an AM4 socket.
AM4 ≠ Ryzen
(08-30-2017, 05:54 PM)seoulgamer Wrote: [ -> ]The A12 9800 uses an AMD GPU, meaning it will perform very poorly in OpenGL, assuming that you are using Windows. Get an Intel CPU with the HD 630 instead.

The HD 630 is plain worse than the R7 in the A12. And Dolphin is entirely usable with it on one of the other backends; both D3D11 and Vulkan are supported quite well by AMD GPU's.
(08-30-2017, 05:54 PM)seoulgamer Wrote: [ -> ]The A12 9800 uses an AMD GPU, meaning it will perform very poorly in OpenGL, assuming that you are using Windows. Get an Intel CPU with the HD 630 instead.

Bear in mind that the intel windows OpenGL driver is likely even worse.....

The GPU in the 9800 is probably easily fast enough, you'll be more likely limited by the anemic previous-generation AMD CPU in that thing, though it does seem to be pretty much the fastest they managed to get out of that generation at 4.2 turbo

xXx][Zenith

(08-28-2017, 10:47 PM)borsten Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tested the performance of this CPU with integrated graphics? It looks like it can handle many modern AAA titles at decent details and FPS. I know APU's performance depends quite a lot on RAM speeds but I would buy some decent speedy RAMs. I'm about to build a new HTPC and I am mostly interested in building a HTPC without dGPU for heat and noise reasons.

Well, there are even some APU comparisons with the older A10-7860K, it can surely handle fairly modern AAA games with good results and playable frame rates.

Rise of the Tomb Raider APU test
F1 2017 APU test

But regarding CPU speed and emulation, this is still a Bulldozer family CPU with all of it's pitfalls and slowness. But later (2018 Q1) you can potentially upgrade to Ryzen based Raven Ridge APUs.