Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Possible to host/mount ISOs over the internet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

WaveBirb

Hello.

Today I came to the incredible realization that I can host my ISOs on my desktop computer (which has a TON of space) and play them on my laptop (which has very little space) by using Windows Homegroups.

So would it be possible to have an online server that hosts the files so I can access them over the internet? My desktop and laptop are on the same private network but I'm wondering if I can do this over the internet. And, if you know, what files/network protocols I would use to do this.

Thanks!
I do this to an extent.

I have a NAS on my home network that I stream my games over LAN to. The bandwidth is high enough, the latency is non-existant, and packet drop (and resulting latency spikes due to re-transmission) isn't an issue on ethernet.

Over the Internet? I'm not sure. You would need a pretty good upload speed on your home network, a pretty good download speed wherever you are, and ensure that latency is very low.
I was just wishing that I could do this on my wii XD
To be more specific about the speeds, Wii games can require a connection speed of up to 70 megabits per second, while GameCube games should be fine with 30 megabits per second. Keep in mind that this is required not only for the download speed but also the upload speed, and the latency has to be low too.
Moonlight can do over the internet streaming since it uses the nvidia game stream tech that nvidia uses for their shield devices.

http://moonlight-stream.com/

No idea how well it would work with Wii games that require a sensor bar and remote as I have used it for games that I can use a Gamecube controller/classic controller one such as Xenoblade Chronicles and Baldurs Gate Dark Allience. I have used it over my network tho to go fro my desktop to my old Thinkpad T420 before I got a new laptop that can hdnle Dolphin just fine. Latency might be an issue with streaming things over the internet tho.