Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Exclusive vs Hybrid Ubershaders?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi, could anyone tell me the real world difference in the quality of gaming experience between Ubershader's hybrid mode and exclusive mode assuming my hardware is not a limiting factor for either? In hybrid, would stuttering be so rare that I could play for hours and only notice a couple of stutters, or are they more common than that?

The games I'll be playing are the Metroid prime trilogy, Mario Galaxy 1&2, Pikmin 1 (Wii), DKCR and Skyward sword.

Cheers.
If your drivers don't stutter on Hybrid mode, you should use Hybrid.

Exclusive mode only exists for drivers that for some reason or another, stutter on Hybrid. An example of this would be nvidia drivers on OpenGL or Vulkan. (D3D works fine)

There is no real reason to use exclusive mode otherwise. The quality is exactly the same.
Thanks for that - so assuming the drivers aren't stuttering would I need much more power than normal for hybrid? So could a GTX1050 or 1050ti be enough for hybrid?
An Intel GPU is enough for Hybrid. Probably. Wink

A 1050 / ti could probably do exclusive at 1080p if it absolutely had to.
Wow - so not much power needed at all! So say my configuration unfortunately meant that I needed to run exclusive and I wanted to run at 1080p with plenty of SSAA and other effects, what card could I get away with?
> SSAA + Exclusive Ubershaders

A GTX 1080.

I'm not kidding. SSAA is already particularly demanding and then Exclusive Ubershaders just adds so much more GPU load to crunch through.

I wouldn't worry about Exclusive mode even on an nvidia GPU. Just use Hybrid mode on Direct3D 11 and you'll be fine.

As for why Hybrid mode is so light, it's because in Hybrid mode, you're only running Ubershaders during the times when shaders are compiling. Which is ideally very fast. Even Metroid Prime with it's gobs of shader generation runs fine on Hybrid mode. Then after you compile that specialized shader, it's cached used like normal.
Thanks so much for that - so it sounds like a 1060 would give plenty of headroom in hybrid for a less demanding AA solution, AF etc at 1080p?

Also, I just thought to ask, is sweetfx available for Dolphin?
A 1060 should be more than sufficient.

sweetfx is not supported. You'll need to look elsewhere to fuck up the colors of your game.
Ha! thanks Smile In that case are there any other nice effects/effect suites that can be added to the games apart from the post processing effects that come with the emulator?
nope.
Pages: 1 2 3 4